Rapha Festive 500. Anyone doing it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Can see you're tyred of all the grumbling

I need to get a grip.

13 rider

Guru

Alex321

Veteran
I can't see me ever being able to do this. You have to average 37.3 miles per day for 8 days, and I'm only hoping to get my 13th ride of 35 miles+ for the year some time this week.

Even if I had the strength & fitness, I would not be popular with my wife if I tried to do a 2 hour+ ride every day for that period.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I can't see me ever being able to do this. You have to average 37.3 miles per day for 8 days, and I'm only hoping to get my 13th ride of 35 miles+ for the year some time this week.

Even if I had the strength & fitness, I would not be popular with my wife if I tried to do a 2 hour+ ride every day for that period.

I only managed it when I did because COVID cancelled all the usual Christmas duties. Normally I have too much other stuff to do.

Isn’t the weather the point of the timing of the Rapha 500?

and also the lack of daylight. I do sometimes feel for the more northerly scots - I might allow turbo miles for Shetlanders!

(Don't get me started on folks that ride parts of their RRTY in the southern hemisphere ... )

I do think people get this all out of persepctive: it's not a macho competitive challenge, it's a motivation thing, to help get us out of the house when we least want to. And a fun thing to bring cyclists together (virtually) at Christmas when it can be a downturn. n.b. I am right about this - if you have a different motivation, you are mistaken and need not reply to this post.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Did you throw buckets of water over yourself and tip the turbo over onto its side to simulate heavy rain and ice of winter?

Why would I do that? :smile: It didn't rain heavily and it wasn't icy in Dec 2020. The other 490-odd km I did outside I got rained on briefly once and never saw any ice. Weather was quite nice IIRC. A bit grey and cloudy.

Top Bottom