Hub ratchet sound?

• Silent for me please.

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • Thrive off that sound.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • Couldn't give a hoot!

Votes: 20 24.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I love the sound of my Ambrosio zenith hubs. I also like how they perform considering they're so cheap.
My riding buddy can't stand it when I'm not pedalling and the loud ratchet sound buzzes away. For me it's a feel good sound.

What do you prefer?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Silent for me all the way.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Quite a few of my bikes run freewheels (as opposed to freehubs) much quieter although a really good squirt of a thickish oil damps down pawl racket and as a bonus I've never in 50yrs of cycling had one fail.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I love the sound of my Ambrosio zenith hubs. I also like how they perform considering they're so cheap.
My riding buddy can't stand it when I'm not pedalling and the loud ratchet sound buzzes away. For me it's a feel good sound.

What do you prefer?

My 3T wheels have a lovely ratchet sound. I miss them in winter.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Silent for me too. I recall being distracted on a sportive once by an incessantly loud clicking noise from one of the bikes in front of our little group. When I mentioned it to the guy next to me he said, "Oh yeah, that ... that's the 'Campagnolo noise' " and then went on to explain that it's a common feature of their freehubs and they are much louder than Shimano. "Nothing to worry about, they're just like that."

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Silent for me too. I recall being distracted on a sportive once by an incessantly loud clicking noise from one of the bikes in front of our little group. When I mentioned it to the guy next to me he said, "Oh yeah, that ... that's the 'Campagnolo noise' " and then went on to explain that it's a common feature of their freehubs and they are much louder than Shimano. "Nothing to worry about, they're just like that."

They are bad for noise.. but the worst has to be Hope Hubs.

Johnno260

Veteran
I had chosen hubs on my Hybrid, my mates hated that bike.

\

What do you prefer?
You are comparing apples and oranges. You like the sound of your own wheel, and your buddy hates the sound of someone else's.

Generally the people are all liking the sound of their own wheels or disliking the sounds of others.

Top Bottom