Hub ratchet sound?

• Silent for me please.

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • Thrive off that sound.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • Couldn't give a hoot!

Votes: 20 24.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hope Pro2 Evos, and the newer version with extra clicking. Constant reminder that you've made the right choice.

Favourites were some Superstar Superleggera 120 point engagement hubs. They sounded like a swarm of angry wasps on a downhill.

I love the racket.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hope Pro2 Evos, and the newer version with extra clicking. Constant reminder that you've made the right choice.

Favourites were some Superstar Superleggera 120 point engagement hubs. They sounded like a swarm of angry wasps on a downhill.

I love the racket.
Haterz gonna hate etc!

simon.r

Person
I don't know what they're like nowadays, but Chris King hubs used to make a right racket.

Silent for me please. Shimano are great and I can just about live with my fairly quiet Kinesis hubs.

gbb

Legendary Member
I run Campag and Shimano so get both. I like Campag if you're coming up behind someone, gives them warning but then, I like the peace and quiet of Shimano.

U

User482

I love the racket.
I have Hopes on my mtb, but on a road bike? No thanks.

mattobrien

Guru
Chris King all the way, a lovely noise that builds up as you start to free wheel. Also excellent for reminding the people you are riding with that while they are suffering, it is so easy for you that you can even free wheel.

Also a noisy hub reminds you that you are pedalling and probably ought to be trying harder so they are silent ^_^

Campag on mine. I like the tick, but have to re-grease the freehub every few thousand miles to stop if get too vocal as when the grease dries out/displaced it gets annoyingly loud.

D

Deleted member 1258

I like the stealth of my fixed, when I'm on gears I'm not bothered if it's noisy or not.

rockpig

Über Member
When I test rode my Giant Defy I thought there was a problem because the freehub was so loud. I've got used to it now and quite like it, but it's very easy to tell when I'm not pedalling.

Top Bottom