Rate my Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

mickle said:
They are also called ferrules, as are the metal bits on the end of umbrellas and walking sticks. Dumbass.

I went in a bike shop and asked for 'ferrules' and was given the ones for between outer and end stops, they knew what I meant even if you don't. Because they know the correct terminology. If I'd asked for ferrules and I was given cable end crimps I'd complain, saying "no, they're not ferrules, they're cable end crimps".
And they'd probably apologise profusely, and sack the offending member of staff. They'd probably also give me a box of chocolates by way of apology. Which is what you should now do.

bonj2

mickle said:
They are also called ferrules, as are the metal bits on the end of umbrellas and walking sticks. Dumbass.

who uses umbrellas nowadays?:thumbsdown:

TVC

bonj said:
who uses umbrellas nowadays?:thumbsdown:

I do, mostly when it rains.

That bike will do for starters SAM, there are all sorts of upgrades and fettles you can do to the bike when pressie time comes round.

bonj said:
I went in a bike shop and asked for 'ferrules' and was given the ones for between outer and end stops, they knew what I meant even if you don't. Because they know the correct terminology. If I'd asked for ferrules and I was given cable end crimps I'd complain, saying "no, they're not ferrules, they're cable end crimps".
And they'd probably apologise profusely, and sack the offending member of staff. They'd probably also give me a box of chocolates by way of apology. Which is what you should now do.

As it happens and in actual fact they are also ferrules. Look it up. If you continue to base the sum total of your cycling knowledge on your interactions with the spotty minimum-wage oik in your local bike shop you wont get very far as a serious cyclist. I think the word came from and was originally used for the metal end caps of sword scabbards. Just so you know.

You may send me a bunch of flowers by way of an apology and we'll leave it there to save you any more embarrassment.

bonj2

mickle said:
As it happens and in actual fact they are also ferrules. Look it up. If you continue to base the sum total of your cycling knowledge on your interactions with the spotty minimum-wage oik in your local bike shop you wont get very far as a serious cyclist. I think the word came from and was originally used for the metal end caps of sword scabbards. Just so you know.

You may send me a bunch of flowers by way of an apology and we'll leave it there to save you any more embarrassment.

er... no, on the contrary. The sum total of THEIR knowledge is probably based on what they glean from basking in the cool blue glow of the aura of cycling knowledge that engulfs them whenever I walk into the shop.
They may TECHNICALLY be ferrules, by the non-cycling definition of a ferrule, but since in cycling the term 'ferrule' is normally used for the outer end stop ferrule, the term 'cable end crimp' is used to distinguish them from an outer end stop ferrule. That's fact, I'm afraid. End of.

You now owe me a gold necklace AND a box of chocolates.

bonj said:
er... no, on the contrary. The sum total of THEIR knowledge is probably based on what they glean from basking in the cool blue glow of the aura of cycling knowledge that engulfs them whenever I walk into the shop.
They may TECHNICALLY be ferrules, by the non-cycling definition of a ferrule, but since in cycling the term 'ferrule' is normally used for the outer end stop ferrule, the term 'cable end crimp' is used to distinguish them from an outer end stop ferrule. That's fact, I'm afraid. End of.

You now owe me a gold necklace AND a box of chocolates.

I'll take that as an apology.

Top Bottom