Rattle can paint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just like on work experience at a local Ford dealership, one particular wag thought it would be funny to send me to stores for some "spark plug gaps", so off I went and told the storeman what was going on and can I have the screw on tops from some spark plugs, I'll bring them back when the pranks over, so I went back and said I've got them, but stores aren't happy opening the boxes for them, here's your spark plug caps, they didn't try it on for the remaining three weeks funnily enough.
Another one was being sent to the stores to ask for a long weight (wait).

Talking of sparks, often used to get one in the eye, and sometimes off to casualty to get it removed. First though, a fella in the workshop would have a go, he'd sit you down in a chair and tilt your head back, then roll your eyelid back on a matchstick, and if he could see the crud he'd fetch it out with the tip of his tongue - I kid you not. I suspect with modern health and safety this procedure is no longer allowed.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Best one I heard of was at a plumbers merchant. They'd challenge new recruits to show how strong they were by bending a 2 metre copper pipe thus:

Newbie puts on overalls or shop coat

Newbie stretches arms out in crucifix position

Staff insert copper pipe down one sleeve, across back and out of the other sleeve

Newbie bends pipe by forcing arms down to his sides, and feels very smug

Staff walk away and leave newbie to ponder on the wisdom of trusting one's colleagues.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Another one was being sent to the stores to ask for a long weight (wait).

Talking of sparks, often used to get one in the eye, and sometimes off to casualty to get it removed. First though, a fella in the workshop would have a go, he'd sit you down in a chair and tilt your head back, then roll your eyelid back on a matchstick, and if he could see the crud he'd fetch it out with the tip of his tongue - I kid you not. I suspect with modern health and safety this procedure is no longer allowed.
Definitely a ‘thing’. I think that Billy Connolly describes it in one of his ship building anecdotes.

Top Bottom