Rattle can respray. What's best nowadays?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As long as someone does the prep powder coating will be better than a can, if he does plenty of bikes he'll know the score.

One place I use simply do the coating so its up to the customer to get the items blasted then blank everything off and then they'll coat it for you.

Keeps the cost down too.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
I've just had a visitation from my Domestic Goddess cum Financial Director who thinks £70 is dirt cheap.
A nod's as good as a wink....

Big John

Guru
Good choice. I spray painted a bike during first lockdown last year. Ok, before anyone says anything, there are good painters amongst us and there's me lol. I'm not a bad mechanic but when it comes to painting I discovered I'm a proper amateur. The paint started to show signs of distress almost as soon as I rebuilt the bike and took it out on its first ride. I've since hand painted it with Hammerite 'hammered' finish. Even brush painted looks better than my aerosol attempt. Not only that but I was forever buying 'another spray can' all the time and spending more than if I'd had it powder coated.

Anyway, I've sanded down another frame/forks and painted that once again with Hammerite. The thing is this frame had been powder coated many years ago and it's an absolute bugger to get off. I discovered first hand just how tough powder coating is. It's a fascinating thing to watch being done on YouTube too. The powder is basically baked onto your frame and gets into every nook and cranny so masking the holes is important but the powder coater might do that job as part of the deal. If I could have found someone local to powder coat it I would have. £70 sounds like a no brainer, as they say.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Have painted a few frames lately, I use paint and laquer from this guy on ebay, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-400M...t-not-3-stage-just-2-stage-paint/333653218786
Has some amazing colours,

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
The powder is basically baked onto your frame and gets into every nook and cranny so masking the holes is important
Yes, I've seen similar videos. Anyway my spares box has enough sacrificial gear for me to fill the threads before it goes in. Better to throw away some old stuff rather than have to try and clear out bunged up threads.

Only problem now is to choose a colour. I have a black bike and a blue bike so this will probably finish up pillar box red. Wonder if I can get pearlescent finish for that price😱

Top Bottom