Rattle can respray. What's best nowadays?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I fancy having a bash at respraying an old steel frame. Everything is sound, just the paint is past it's prime.
A trial run shows that the exisiting stuff will rub off easily.
So what's the best paint to use?
Presumably 2 or 3 coats of primer. Rub down with 1000 grade paper. Then 3 or 4 coats of top coat. Rub down again and 2 coats of lacquer.
Get some proper decals and polish the shiny bits and job will be fine.
What is the paint of choice at present? Halfords car paint cans, or is something else better regarded.
Bike won't see a lot of hard work, and certainly won't be out in all weathers. It's a pub/shopping in the village/turbo bike so durability isn't primary consideration. I just want it looking nice!

Drago

Legendary Member
Finish it with Spraymax 2K lacquer. Regular lacquer will just allow the paint to chip and flake off too easily.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Thanks. Will look into that.
I'm just wondering what it would cost to give it a powdercoater?
There's a guy just up the road so I might ask for a price.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
worth it , saves you a lot of hassle
Could be. Should be done properly!

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Well, your original frame is in far, far better condition than mine. Think I'd be happy to get mine into your unrestored state!!!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well, your original frame is in far, far better condition than mine. Think I'd be happy to get mine into your unrestored state!!!
that photo was an old one before it looks tatty , it was covered in stone chips and both bottle cages had bubbled around the bottle cage bolts so badly when i tried to chip it off and touch up i ended up with a chunk of paint missing as it just kept going

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
This is what I'm thinking of having a play with. It's a good Ribble frame, but there are three different coulours of yellow on it.
It's in no way crucial that I repaint it, but my OCD is niggling and we still will be in some form of lockdown for most of the summer so I thought it would be good to tart it up once I stop using it on the turbo.
Lloyds have suitable decals, and the gear should polish up nicely.
What's to loose?
We won't be allowed on holiday so might as well spend the money on the bike!

Just make sure you blank all the 'holes' off well as powder coat is a basket to get off.

Make something up with threaded bar and big washers for headstock and bottom bracket areas and put bolts in all the threaded holes.

I've had many motorcycle parts done in the past so learnt the hard way.

Top Bottom