Boardman road comp refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
2011 road comp with alloy frame and carbon forks
It was looking very tired after 9 years of riding , lots of chips , dings and the paint around the bottle cages had bubbled badly , mismatched shifters after the RH apex broke .
this is what it looked like in reasonable condition

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Stripping the paint turned out to be PITA so i turned to facefluff looking for a local company to to strip and paint .Some in my cc does vintage frame repairs quoted £200 !, a bit rich for a bike that was £800 new .

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Chap who is in charge of auto spray shop said he could do it for £50, they dont have many choices of colour so i opted for "what do you mean you didnt see me yellow " As you can see its lost the filler over the welds giving it the smooth look but as my winter club bike its fine .

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

2nd day of rebuild
matched the shifters and added FD, waiting for a new chain from CRC.
Tried to put the upper cable stops back in the frame but couldnt get them in , im thinking of letting the LBS recable as the rear brake is internal and had to completely remove everything for the repspray so i will let them have the headache :smile:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is getting yellower by the minute - any brighter and I'll need to put my sunglasses on! :laugh:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

3rd day of rebuild.
Got the end stop adjusters on the downtube installed after using another bolt to get the paint out of the threads, installed new chain, rear shifter cable and indexed the cassette.I also ordered some new bar tape.
Tried to use some cotton thread and a vac to make a feeder line for the rear brake but i don't think my household vac has enough oomph to catch the cotton as its barely pulling it through .
Looks like i have reached the limit of what i can do without new cables for the brakes and FD so thats it for now till i can get LBS to do the rear brake and may as well let them do the other cables.
My cable cutters are past it so they are not cutting cable neatly , they were ebay specials and are a good number of years old so i cant cut a cable down neatly enough without a number of attempts.

Gunk

Guru
Whenever I've had motorcycle frames painted or powder coated I've always fitted sacrificial bolts into all the threads, it makes things so much easier.

That frame is crying out for a Raleigh Banana paint job!

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Another day
took it to the lbs who said they would drill it out but they are so busy i had no chance.
So i taped up the frame and drilled the rear stop, it came out on the bit , i reckon i can reuse it ? It doenst have a small area just for the inner but the outer doesnt go through .
Managed to get cotton through the frame with the vac too :smile:

Top Bottom