Re Boardman URB 8.9 Belt Drive

uphillstruggle

Hi, Does anyone know or have experience of the removal and replacement of the back wheel (in case of puncture) Boardmans has no online info and the manual supplied is as good as useless.

netman

Über Member
Not specific to Boardman, but does this help?

chr15b

Über Member
I've got the 2021 URB 8.8 and removal of the back wheel is fairly straight forward.
  1. Disconnect hub cable.
  2. Loosen axle nuts.
  3. Drop out wheel.

OP
U

uphillstruggle

Thanks for that, Just collected the bike last week, took it back to the store and and the assistant dropped the rear wheel but was almost impossible for him to set it back because the belt tension was so tight, To me it looks as if the belt maybe loosened by the off center concentric crack bearing held in with two alan bolts?

chr15b

Über Member
Thanks for that, Just collected the bike last week, took it back to the store and and the assistant dropped the rear wheel but was almost impossible for him to set it back because the belt tension was so tight, To me it looks as if the belt maybe loosened by the off center concentric crack bearing held in with two alan bolts?
That is indeed how the belt is tensioned, but you should be able to remove and refit the wheel without changing the belt tension.

This is a video I created fitting mudguards to mines - you can see removal of the wheel at 09:15 then refitting at 12:20.

IpsRich

Only thing I would add to this is that after removal and replacement it is worth checking the gear alignment as it may be out, and that is not covered in the video posted above. It it fairly simple, there are yellow setting marks which should be aligned when in 4th gear. If they aren't, turn the barrel on the gear shifter until they align properly.

Eccentric Bottom Brackets with set screws are generally the worst kind being difficult to fine tune. My EEB has an externally clamping BB shell with two bolts so it never tries to return to any dimpled position. The wedge style ones are also better.

Top Bottom