Re-Dishing a Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
When tightening a spoke place a piece of electric tape mid spoke.
Life is too short, or do you leave all the tape on till the next time?
[QUOTE 5311344, member: 9609"]truing a wheel on the bike is just hopeless.[/QUOTE]
You may judge this but I think there is hope, and achieve satisfactory results for just trueing. Sorting out dishing (on a newly laced wheel) is not easy without a jig. My LBS has been kind enough to let me use their jig during a time they're not busy to get the dishing right.

Velochris

Über Member
Life is too short, or do you leave all the tape on till the next time?

You may judge this but I think there is hope, and achieve satisfactory results for just trueing. Sorting out dishing (on a newly laced wheel) is not easy without a jig. My LBS has been kind enough to let me use their jig during a time they're not busy to get the dishing right.

Yes, adding a piece of tape does add additional time but for somebody who is not experienced with the feel of spoke wind up it will save them time overall.

I only use one piece of tape and move it to each spoke as I go along.

Not sure why you'd think I'd leave the tape on but maybe I've missed the point.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yes, adding a piece of tape does add additional time but for somebody who is not experienced with the feel of spoke wind up it will save them time overall.
Never, ever felt it necessary to mark the spokes in this way. I found it quite intuitive that the spoke twist was countered during the tensioning process when the tension was getting close to the limit. Once approaching the final tension it felt right to turn 1/2 turn tight then back off 1/4 turn to undo any spoke twist.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
It might be as simple as that BUT you might need to do 1/2 turn on one side only and you must make sure you only turn the nipple and not the spoke or the spoke will turn back at some point and the wheel won't longer be trued.
Evaluating the tension on both sides of the wheel before you deside what spokes to tighten or loosen is a good idea. If the right hand side spokes' tension is on the limit for the rim then you don't really want to add more tension. On the other hand, if the left hand side spokes' tension is rather loose then you want to avoid slacking those spokes. A lot of the times you find there's not an easy opportunity to improve the wheel spoke tension balance and you do what disturbs the tension balance the least. Having said all that, half a turn it's not too critical ;)

Top Bottom