Re-fueling whilst cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poppyman

Regular
As a new member this thread must have been covered before but as a novice i was wondering what people snack on to keep up energy levels whislt cycling. Is it a quick sugar boost like jelly-babies or like peanut butter sandwiches or does it depend on whether it melts or sticks together on hot days.

S-Express

Depends on the distance/duration of the ride. Anything under 90mins/2hrs can generally be ridden on just fluids.

k_green

Up to 30 miles, just water.
Up to 60 miles, cake stop and some fruit & nuts as well as water.
Beyond that I usually add peanut butter flapjack, maybe some lunch (beans or cheese on toast/jacket potato), plus squash and a pinch of salt in my water bottle.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Flapjacks as basic fuel from 15 miles after a start or restart and then every ten, dextrose tabs if I don't eat enough and need a quick response, proper food at lunch stops with lots of protein. Little and often water, with more when it's hot.

OP
OP
Poppyman

Poppyman

Regular
Thanks for your replies and different ideas.

theloafer

Legendary Member
this work great for me :hungry:

More delicious than shop bought malt loaf and so easy to fling together
a child can do it. This must be one of the only cake mixtures that looks and tastes
pretty revolting in the bowl, but honestly, the end result is well worth the complete lack of effort...

Best sliced thinly and eaten with butter or jam.

1 mug of Kellogg's All-Bran
1 mug of either currants, mixed dried fruit or sultanas
1 mug of milk
1 mug of self-raising flour
A generous half-mug of caster or soft brown sugar

Method

1. Put everything except the flour in a large bowl and leave the mixture to stand for about an hour.

2. Grease and long-strip-line a standard size loaf tin and pre-heat the oven to approximately Gas Mark 3 (160 C)

3. Sift the flour into the soggy mixture, stir it in well and pour the whole lot into the loaf tin, spreading it evenly up to the sides.

4. Bake in a cool oven for about an hour and a half, until a skewer or sharp knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
2016-04-09 17.16.05.jpg

screenman

Legendary Member
Nothing for up to 90 minutes, weak squash after that up to 3 hours, long time since I did any more but I would have had something solid at that point. I drink when thirsty not before.

Top Bottom