Re-fueling whilst cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Anything up to 30 miles I tend to take 2 water bottles, one filled with water, the other with squash/high 5/something similar. And if it's first thing in the morning, it will be on an empty stomach, with a cereal bar and a gel in case I find my energy lacking partway through the ride. Between 30 and 50, a cafe stop will be built in. I carry the above, but will generally have a coffee and some sort of snack (flap jack, croissant, maybe eggs on toast or a bagel). Over 50 miles, I'll add another cereal bar and gel into the mix, maybe some jelly babies or similar, and the cafe stop now becomes a lunch stop and I'll have a sandwich, maybe eggs on toast with a side of hash brown/something potato-ish, sausage roll or the like. It seems to keep me going.

Nebulous

Guru
No, I really can't "train" myself to use these reserves that I don't have and nor do a significant minority. If I exert myself too much without eating, I end up sweating, dizzy and starting to see black splotches. Feel free to go have a chat with the dieticians at Addenbrooke's if you feel you're more expert than them, but I'll follow their previous advice until they tell me otherwise.

The words 'most people' were relevant.

When I was starting out I did around 20 miles and found myself shaking so much I was struggling to stand. I went to a shop, bought sugary stuff and threw it over my neck until I got back to a semblance of normality. I've stretched that out a long way and could probably do more if I worked at it.

You have a good point though. People shouldn't follow advice on the internet without satisfying themselves about whether it is sensible for them. My sample of one doesn't apply to everyone.

Reactions: mjr

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I always carry all my food for the day. Usually half a dozen rolls which I make up in the morning. Favourite fillings include sausage and yellow pepper, tuna and sweetcorn in mayonnaise, egg and bacon in mayonnaise, sardine and tomato paste with yellow pepper. I also take a couple of snack size Asda own-brand Mars bar equivalents in case I need a quick energy boost.

I find one of the most essential qualities is moistness, and I choose my rolls carefully. One of the few occasions I've ever had to abort a ride was down to being unable to swallow the food I had with me - on a very hot day - not running out.

Fluids to replace fluid loss. Most people will have enough glycogen stored for around 2 hours of exercise so taking on carbs would not be necessary. So you would only really need something electrolyte based at the most.

Glycogen levels can drop over night and while most of us most of the time are good for the 2 hours, its worth noting that riding to work without a breakfast for example might require a little something to eat or drink on route.

How do you package your food so that you can eat it on the bike, I hate gels 'cause the stickness goes everywhere, malt loaf in a pocket sounds mmm gooey after an hour riding

Alan O

Über Member
How do you package your food so that you can eat it on the bike, I hate gels 'cause the stickness goes everywhere, malt loaf in a pocket sounds mmm gooey after an hour riding
In a regular plastic lunchbox in my top bag - sausage butties, Mars bars, Kendal Mint Cake, bananas. I don't consume gels because I don't pretend I'm riding the TdF when I'm out on a relaxing ride (and because the only one I've ever tried tasted like sick).

Alan

pclay

Veteran
On a 50 miler, @ 16mph average over the route, I will take 2 cold jacket potatoes, perhaps with a smear if ketchup, wrapped in tin foil, and stored in my jersey pockets. Carbs!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have one snack in a pocket but most of the food goes in whatever bag I can reach most easily, broken into bite size pieces if possible.

Top Bottom