Re-fueling whilst cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
a naked bar (cheap bars from tescos) for anything up to about 40 miles, but if I can arrange a cafe stop I will, including a full english in the middle of a 100 miler!

Reactions: mjr

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
, but if I can arrange a cafe stop I will, including a full english in the middle of a 100 miler!

Cant be beat...
20170416_110058.jpg

MikeG

Guru
..... peanut butter flapjack......

:eek::eek: Peanut butter? Peanut butter flapjacks?! Has ever a greater culinary sin been committed? Peanut butter! The very idea........

Away with him, now, to the flogging tree. Don't spare the lashes........

sarahale

Über Member
For a road ride over around 60 miles I'll fill my bar bag with bitesize chunks of cereal bars and foam banana sweets as easy to just eat on the move. If it's shorter I'll just take a cereal bar but not always eat it.

Off road anything over 50 miles I'll take a sandwich and some sweets.

I have one bottle of weak squash and one with a electrolyte tab for any long rides.

MarkF

Guru
Anything I can get my hands on. Sweet or savoury.

This, but I don't have a sweet tooth. I've never taken any energy/cycling specific food/drink in my life and my legs never fell off.

I've cycled 1000 miles propelled by mostly beer and magdalena buns, 6 per 1 euro. :smile:

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
A good vet could revive that bacon

Tin Pot

Guru
As a new member this thread must have been covered before but as a novice i was wondering what people snack on to keep up energy levels whislt cycling. Is it a quick sugar boost like jelly-babies or like peanut butter sandwiches or does it depend on whether it melts or sticks together on hot days.

Are we talking hard training rides or pissarsing about for hours with a bunch of mates?

The latter I take a banana and a credit card. There's no way I burn more than a banana before everyone else wants a cafe break.

For training rides over two hours I take High5 because it's cheap and similar to (the simply offensive) PowerBar nutrition at Ironman events. A bar or gel every half hour, one 750ml bidon of water or energy drink (I should take two but use the second cage for repair kit).

k_green

:eek::eek: Peanut butter? Peanut butter flapjacks?! Has ever a greater culinary sin been committed? Peanut butter! The very idea........

Away with him, now, to the flogging tree. Don't spare the lashes........

With chocolate too... :O

OP
OP
Poppyman

Poppyman

Regular
Are we talking hard training rides or pissarsing about for hours with a bunch of mates?

The latter I take a banana and a credit card. There's no way I burn more than a banana before everyone else wants a cafe break.

For training rides over two hours I take High5 because it's cheap and similar to (the simply offensive) PowerBar nutrition at Ironman events. A bar or gel every half hour, one 750ml bidon of water or energy drink (I should take two but use the second cage for repair kit).
I normally go out with my son or just me alone so every ride i go on is like a time-trial. The trouble is i made the mistake of using Strava so if i don't try and keep up with past results it's like i am failing myself so when i struggle i just need a boost. I will just have to try and forget Strava sometimes and enjoy the ride. Thanks for your post.

tyred

Legendary Member
Cider and salt and vinegar crisps at the half way point. Since I stopped smoking I no longer have a rollie for dessert.

Usually my home made cycling snack* - far cheaper, tastier, more packed with energy than anything you can buy. A long time ago I used to use cereal bars but found they fell short on the necessary fuel. For a quick sugar boost Lidl wine gums - keep intending to buy them only when I need them/have a longish ride coming up as otherwise I just wolf them at home.

* caution for some above - contains a fair amount of peanut butter but also oats, sunflower seeds, honey/syrup, ground nuts, dried fruit.

Also zero tabs for a long ride particularly when warm/hot - they do seem to help cramp dodging.

Top Bottom