Re-rimming a Mavic wheel - will 1.5mm make a difference on spoke length?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
It's best to use new nipples even if reusing the old spokes.
Why?

Ajax Bay

Guru
If the rim [note not the one in this thread] is badly damaged you could just re-lace a new one on without having to completely strip and rebuild the wheel. Tape the new rim to the old one and swop the spokes over one at a time, Tension and true and the jobs a good 'un.
It's best to use new nipples even if reusing the old spokes.
You can also get nipples in different lengths if you want to use the original spokes.
Ksyrium SL / Ksyrium Elite S rimmed wheels use "Black, bladed, straight pull steel spokes with integrated and self-locking M7 nipples". The latter are anodised (coloured) aluminium nipples with the known disadvantages of aluminium cf brass.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Nipple lengths are 12mm, 14mm & 16mm.
So spoke's being 1.5mm shorter than optimum won't be a problem unless you are already using 16mm nipples as the slot in them is just over 1mm deep, so the spoke will be 1.5mm below the top of the nipple.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Mavic spokes and nipples are nothing like normal. And things have moved on since I posted that; I've realised that at least one of the nipples is so badly oxidised that it won't come out intact so it's likely I shall be buying an entire new set of spokes, which come with the nipples attached.

Can't do anything for the moment though as I'm laid up with a broken collar bone.

https://goo.gl/images/Bo9x2B

Last edited:
Top Bottom