Re-roofing query Welsh vs Spanish slate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Post your question on a builders forum (rather than cycling forum) wait for answers, then show them to neighbour.
They might choose not to proceed ?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Post your question on a builders forum (rather than cycling forum) wait for answers, then show them to neighbour.
They might choose not to proceed ?
some cyclists are builders and some builders cycle... in my 10 years on CC, I've come to discover that 'ask a cyclist' is the best option for any non-cycling related advice :okay:

Lozz360

Veteran
I presume Spanish slate is very similar to Welsh slate in looks? Probably a daft question as I can't help picturing those red terracotta type tiles when thinking about Spanish roofing material, but they are not slates.

Anyway, I think your neighbour is nuts to go for a different material to yours, as you say they will be different sizes and there will be a join down the middle. It will look horrible IMHO. When I moved into the house I'm in now, which is also semi-detached, I changed the cladding to match my neighbour's (it needed changing anyway). The result was that both houses look bigger and better. They are not broken up by dark wood cladding on one side and white PVC on the other. Why don't you both pay to have the roof cleaned and tiles replaced if and when necessary? It will be much cheaper, especially for your neighbour.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I once got talking to a bloke who had bought and was renovating an old house in the Ceriog valley in Wales. It had been the slate mine managers house. He had had the roof redone......

in Spanish slate.

Top Bottom