Re-roofing query Welsh vs Spanish slate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I live in a 1920s semi which has the original Welsh slate roof. No roof felt but there has never been a problem with leaks, and the beams and battens have no damage/rot on them at all.

Last year some neighbours had their roof re-slated with manufactured imitation slates. Again they had no problems, other than a couple of broken slates, but a roofer told them it would be much better to have a new felted roof. Now keeping up with the Joneses has kicked off and a couple of houses have also had it done because "it looks so much nicer".

My next door semi neighbour has now decided to have it done using Spanish slate and has asked us if we would consider doing it to save on some of the costs such as scaffolding.

I have said no as I don't see how I would benefit by changing a perfectly sound but 100 year old set of slates (which spent more than 600 million years forming underground) for ones which look a little bit newer.

The only issue will be the join down the middle and different size slates on both houses, but tbh that doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother the neighbours.

I noticed that when they re-roofed the neighbours the roofers carefully took off the Welsh slates, stacked them and they were then collected by another company, with cash handed over, as there is a good market for them second-hand.

I just can't see the benefit in spending a lot of money to fix a problem we have never had, or am I missing something?

I seem to remember that Belgian slate had a poor reputation for crumbling/flaking, but how does Spanish slate compare?

Welsh slate is good. Nearly as good as Honister slate.
Why remove something that is perfectly sound? Your neighbour would be better off sourcing the removed slates and putting them back on. Why is there a market for them? Because they are good.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Why is there a market for them? Because they are good.
Listed buildings and houses in conservation zones would be desperate for those slates.
Second hand Traditional Kent Peg clay tiles cost over £1 each.
old barns get stripped of them in the night.
and i imagine a clay tile is less durable than slate tiles.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Our council changed the council house roofs from local slate to Spanish around 15 years ago, they are already showing signs of damage, lifting and sliding out of place.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
They should be able to put the original slates back. There will be some damage, and replacements required, but not an entire roof's worth.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
They should be able to put the original slates back. There will be some damage, and replacements required, but not an entire roof's worth.

That could probably be done, but since there is absolutely no damage to the slates or roof frame, and no leaks it would be a hell of a lot of work and money to solve a problem that doesn't exist. The house has not suffered from not having roofing felt for the past 95 years. I suspect the roof will last a lot longer than me and my wife.

My neighbours will change theirs, and i have no problems with that, but I see no chance of me doing the same.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My neighbours will change theirs, and i have no problems with that, but I see no chance of me doing the same.
My thinking was that, if they could be persuaded to reuse most of the originals, you wouldn't have the potential problem of the join, and they would have a longer-lasting roof*

*The garage & rear, single-storey part of our house have Spanish slate. It does seem to be a bit fragile and prone to frost damage.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
My thinking was that, if they could be persuaded to reuse most of the originals, you wouldn't have the potential problem of the join, and they would have a longer-lasting roof*

*The garage & rear, single-storey part of our house have Spanish slate. It does seem to be a bit fragile and prone to frost damage.

They are sold on the idea of a nice new roof like the neighbours, and worried that the lack of roofing felt is a portent of imminent doom, which is now overdue after 95 trouble-free years.

In our street only four houses were roofed in Welsh slate, the rest were roofed in Belgian slate and have all been changed over the years, some twice.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
No roofing experience but in principal it sounds like a crap deal; presumably a not-inconsiderable sum of money for the good quality, valuable tiles to be removed and replaced with lower value, potentially inferior alternatives.. for the dubious benefits of guarding against a non-existant problem and making the roof look "nicer".

Also thrown into the bargain is the very likely possiblity that the roofers will cock something up - sod paying for the privilege of that for no tangible benefits.

Sounds like your neighbours are mostly concerned with your roof not detracting from the perceived aesthetic improvement of theirs, and are hoping to cut their costs at your significant expense. I'd tell them politely to do one, stating your reasons. If they have any sense they might come round to your way of thinking and reconsider themselves.

They sound like muppets and ideal prey for unscrupulous tradesmen to dupe into parting with cash for an inferior alternative to what they have already :rolleyes:

Top Bottom