Re-using a chain pin/rivet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Just removed chain to clean it. Upon Googling, it seems that it is frowned upon to re-use the chain pin you have pushed part way out. Instead it seems consensus is to remove the pin entirely and replace with a new one. I'm sure I've reused a pin before without any major consequences. Any opinions will be welcomed.

Drago

Legendary Member
T'is said you're not supposed to do so, but I always have done.

Just removed chain to clean it. Upon Googling, it seems that it is frowned upon to re-use the chain pin you have pushed part way out. Instead it seems consensus is to remove the pin entirely and replace with a new one. I'm sure I've reused a pin before without any major consequences. Any opinions will be welcomed.

Done it literally hundreds of times, with no comebacks. I prefer a quicklink, but have no issues with re-using a pin as long, of course,as you closely check it to see that it stands proud slightly on both sides, just like all the other pins.

davidphilips

Veteran
Like quick links myself but have joined many chains by reusing pin with no problems, far as i know you need to be very careful with the shimano chains that are peened, Usually any thing over 8 speed shimano is a risk if reusing a pin best avoided, looking forward to a reply by yellowsaddle as any advice he gives is well worth taking.

Venod

Eh up
I use quick links nowadays, but I have reused the pin on many occasions including 10 speed with no adverse effects.

iandg

Legendary Member
Always used the same pin when constantly changing chain length to cope with different chainrings and sprockets when changing gear on a fixed wheel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom