Re-using a chain pin/rivet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

robgul

Legendary Member
Shimano is moving to quick/magic links for chains nowadays (I'm pretty sure KMC make chains for Shimano) - the obviously simpler and more reliable solution is quick links - even for new Shimano that come with the break-off pins, use KMC link.

Rob

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It depends. On really old-school chains, it's fine. On virtually all modern chsins, it's not. You can get away with it but one day the chain may break 50 miles from home when you don't have a chain tool.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Most 1/8" chains now seem to be peened too, e.g. SRAM PC-1. With good chainline on the type of bikes they're intended for, it is highly unlikely that a pin will wiggle out, so I'm not sure why they bother.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
EEEE (sucks on pipe, offers the listener a Werthers original)

I remember my first quick link. Probably about 1978/9. I mail ordered it and it had two little screws that held the outer plate on. And since then I have only driven links out of chains in order to break them permanently (ie when replacing). Prior to that I always replaced pins and I very frequently made a balls of it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst it can be done I would recommend using a new pin as my one and only chain failure was after pooh poohing this advice and re-using the old pin. I didn't carry a chain tool then so it was a bit of a bind. This was on a 9 speed probably Shimano chain. That said I've re-used many pins on old 3 speed chains without a problem

silva

Über Member
About that peened, I wonder what happens when a pin is pushed through a link plate, does the peened end reduce in diameter, or does the plate hole diameter increase, or both?
On my last assemble of two chains (I have to add links from a second to get in on length), after pushing back the pin I gave a hammer blow along a punch on the returned pin end. Just as a try, no idea about the effect it had.

About that peened, I wonder what happens when a pin is pushed through a link plate, does the peened end reduce in diameter, or does the plate hole diameter increase, or both?
On my last assemble of two chains (I have to add links from a second to get in on length), after pushing back the pin I gave a hammer blow along a punch on the returned pin end. Just as a try, no idea about the effect it had.
Read my post on the issue. It's illustrated with photos too.

silva

Über Member
Read my post on the issue. It's illustrated with photos too.
Couldn't find the post with photos.
I did find this though, which may have described it (if same subject) clear enough without need of pics:
"Reusable pins are the ones with two horizontal lines of peening and the non-reusable ones have a peen right round and the pin looks like a circle in a circle".
The pins do have 2 visible lines, not sure what processing methods cause the difference, maybe a punch on the whole surface of the pins (although wouldn't that risk a bend?) end versus 2 simultaneous punches 180 degrees opposed to eachother and under a 45 degrees or so angle so a partly deflection allowing more force without bend risk?
In case, then re-pushing a pin back poses no problem, also didn't experience one.

Couldn't find the post with photos.
I did find this though, which may have described it (if same subject) clear enough without need of pics:
"Reusable pins are the ones with two horizontal lines of peening and the non-reusable ones have a peen right round and the pin looks like a circle in a circle".
The pins do have 2 visible lines, not sure what processing methods cause the difference, maybe a punch on the whole surface of the pins (although wouldn't that risk a bend?) end versus 2 simultaneous punches 180 degrees opposed to eachother and under a 45 degrees or so angle so a partly deflection allowing more force without bend risk?
In case, then re-pushing a pin back poses no problem, also didn't experience one.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/chain-snapped.247687/#post-5587990

Top Bottom