Re-using existing chain ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
i'm converting an old Raleigh Magnum to fixed. I want to use the existing big chain ring and mate it to a single sprocket at the rear. What do I need to consider when doing this and what size chain should I use?
Cheers

Tim Hall

Chain line is the most important thing, then how worn the chain ring is. Is the existing rear wheel freehub or freewheel? If the latter just screw a sprocket on. You can get (fixed) sprockets that have a step on one side so you can alter the chain line by screwing it on one way or the other. I'd go for a 3/32 chain, although have no science to back that up with.

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Thanks Tim. It's a freewheel, but I'm changing the wheels as they're steel rimmed. The BB is Raleigh 71mm 26tpi so can't change it, but I think you can get replacement axle lengths which will help get a decent chain line.

Tim Hall

Thanks Tim. It's a freewheel, but I'm changing the wheels as they're steel rimmed. The BB is Raleigh 71mm 26tpi so can't change it, but I think you can get replacement axle lengths which will help get a decent chain line.
Is that a cup and cone BB? IME those have assymetric axles so you can vary the chain line by turning the axle round (assuming the cranks don't hit the frame).

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd get a cassette rear wheel, then a single speed kit for it. They usually have a stack of spacers and a sprocket, so you sort the chain line out by moving the sprocket around. It's easier than swapping bottom brackets till the cows come home...

Top Bottom