Read any good books?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Über Member
Ghettoside, Jill Leovy. This looks into the plague of gang related murders esp to young black males.

Very interesting as challenges a lot of false assumptions. Well written.

Reading Michael Forester, "If it wasn't for that Dog" about his increasing deafness and being teamed up with a dog from Hearing Dogs for Deaf People. Mrs DCB and I are in the same boat, and we have in fact already 'qualified' for a dog, but for various reasons I won't go into, couldn't take it further. We are in the process of re-applying, so let's see what happens. The book is good, but the proofing and editing is almost non-existent, which for someone as grammar-nazi as me is very, very disturbing...:eek:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not really into fiction. Reading currently “The finest road in the world” by James Millar. The story of travel and transportation in the Scottish Highlands from early days.

I would like to find any books on travel with a recumbent trike. There are a couple of American ones and an Australian one as well as one which may be part fiction about a guy who triked from London to Athens and onwards eventually back to UK. Any suggestions welcome.
I say possible fiction as he seems to travel inordinate distances at a pretty fast speed although he was an athlete.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Just read 1776 a book about the first year of the American War of Independence. Brilliantly researched and written. Whilst it was a factual book it was a very easy and enjoyable read.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I like an autobiography but some of them end up telling us what their riches have bought them. Some though, can be good and one I finished this morning (I'm on holiday in Majorca but the wind is so strong, my bike ride was a low, short one) was one of the best. Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters and formerly Nirvana - although I'd like to have read more about his Nirvana days. It's called The Storyteller. One cracking story is about him meeting Lemmy for the first time. He bumps in to him by complete chance in a bar in L.A. Lemmy was such a fixture in there, a barmaid brought over his mail to his table!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I like an autobiography but some of them end up telling us what their riches have bought them. Some though, can be good and one I finished this morning (I'm on holiday in Majorca but the wind is so strong, my bike ride was a low, short one) was one of the best. Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters and formerly Nirvana - although I'd like to have read more about his Nirvana days. It's called The Storyteller. One cracking story is about him meeting Lemmy for the first time. He bumps in to him by complete chance in a bar in L.A. Lemmy was such a fixture in there, a barmaid brought over his mail to his table!

I worked with Lemmy a few times and he was certainly a unique individual. The only person I have ever met who did as he pleased wether others liked his music or not. He could be hilarious unintentionally as well.

just finished this, very good.
1664298106941.png

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not this book, it's the novelisation of the film Total Recall. PKDs short story "We can remember you wholesale" is the original work he wrote that the film (and this book) is based on.

Reminds me, I need to read "The man in the high castle" soon which is another PKD book.

Whilst what you say is true it does seem decidedly "off" that PKD doesn't get a mention on the cover.

As an aside, semi related, D W Griffith was notorious for (amongst his more serious sins like appalling racism) changing the plots of novels he'd made films of. The disgruntled writer facetiously commented to DWG at the premier that he'd like to base a novel on the film. "You do that" says Griffith, "and if it's any good, I'll film it"

PaulB

Legendary Member
I read 'Fake History - ten great lies and how they shaped the world' by Otto English. Wow, is all I can say. If you want actual facts, you need to read this. All that 'Churchill was wonderful' stuff? Testiculare of the worst sort. Lincoln freeing the slaves? He was what we'd call a total racist today. The history of Britain? All lies designed to make us look much better than we've any right to be.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
The Fear Index by Robert Harris. About stock markets and financiers and artificial intelligence. Good fast paced read. It also explained to me what a hedge fund is - the book does this by going through a bet over the colour of a woman's knickers. You'll have to read it. :wacko::wacko:

colly

Re member eR
The Spy and the Traitor: Ben Macintyre

The true story of a KGB colonel and latterly the Station Chief in London. A double agent passing information to MI6
It reads like a spy novel but is in fact a true story.

Second time of reading.

Top Bottom