Reading CTC Midnight ride to Lymington 20th September 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mistral

Guru
it's you, me and her nibs for a threesome. Find a friend and we've got a party

Not sure I'll be able to party, but will gladly join you for the return trip

Tim Hall

Train to Lymington Pier and back (bonus causeway goodness there) and on to Brockenhurst. Selflessly gave up place on next available train to two needy cyclists. Next suitable one didn't stop at Clapham, so off at Woking. 7 minute wait then train to Clapham. Chaos on platform 13, following sad news of person hit by train. Blag space on Gatwick Express (with additional stops). (Asked by nice man in orange on platform if my bike folded. It's a Mercian, not a deck chair). Off at Gatwick. One minute wait for train to Horley (where I started my journey yesterday).

mistral

Guru
'spread the love'

Simon (B) thank you for all your hard work in organising this splendid ride.

Highlights included the complexities of the numerous bridges over the motorway systems, managing to avoid actually having to see Basingstoke, by taking a mainly subterranean route (a masterstroke), roads mostly devoid of traffic, the various quadrupeds found wandering through Boldre, and the charming Hythe ferry trip was an experience; when I mused that the standard was ‘no-frills’, some considered this a little generous.

Everyone agreed the breakfast itself and the venue were fine. Unfortunately Lymington magistrates deprived us of beer until 11am. It would have tasted sweeter had we not been fretting over how to get 6 x bikes into two allocated cycle spaces on the shuttle train. Tipped off by the advance party, despite the train being devoid of passengers it was controlled by a train manager “ .... scary one, his way or no way, totalitarian”*. Our fears were unfounded though, due to a combination of charm and a change of staff.

One of life’s more surreal moments occurred as DZ and Tim were negotiating with the nice ticket chap at Lymington station, genuinely ‘spreading’ the said love; outside the small station three posh young would-be Emo girls seemed as baffled by the four lycra clad ‘oldies’ as the down at heel gent on his mobile angrily shouting (over and over) “you don’t have to be so f***ing rude”. I guess you had to be there ....

*Alex Turner

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
As I posted upthread (and advised Simon B by email), getting a train to Reading, Basingstoke or somewhere I could ride to the start by midnight-ish was not that practical. Getting the 9.24 London service (which, as it happens, I could have made this Friday) would mean a 40-odd minute wait at Guildford. Or I could get a later service to Eastleigh, hope and pray that the three-minute window to change trains there worked out OK (and that's across a footbridge, not neighbouring platforms), change again at Basingstoke. Fine if trains are on time and I move quick, but not exactly stress free....But I opted for a more-energy intensive but 'easier' option. Ride up to Basingstoke....

Early doors at work (sod's law when I didn't want to catch a train), back home to eat and change, out the door and heading north by 10.20, on my usual route to that neck of the woods- Denmead, Hambledon, then north through Cheriton and Alresford. Very quiet roads- once I was out of Hambledon I didn't see another car for three or four miles, and there were two or three stretches like that. Navigation fails (both me and the Garmin) meant I managed to take a wrong turn south of Kilmeston and add a mile or two before I realised my mistake. Then just south of Cheriton, the elder Hope suddenly cuts out. Turn it on again, OK for a minute or two, again cuts out. As per usual for night rides, I'd been through The Battery Charging Routine and they should have been fine. Not to worry, younger Hope kicks out enough light to see OK even on low, and when I get to Cheriton I switch out the batteries for a set of spares. Which, as it turned out, decided to conk out themselves not far from Winchester. Set three lasted the duration of the night, thankfully....

Those little issues aside, I still made good time. Through Alresford, a brief stretch on the B3046 before taking Spiers Lane north to cut out the 3046's westward loop and save a mile or two. Didn't know that road before, but thankfully proved to be a good call- decent surface and not one car on the whole stretch. Rejoined the 3046 at the top and stayed on it all the way into Basingstoke. I can confirm it's just as lumpy going north as south :smile:

I reached Basingstoke just after 1.30. I considered heading up to the splash-and-dash stop at Tesco, but it didn't seem wise, it was another two or three miles (in the Basingstoke one-way system, as devised by someone seemingly inspired by H. Bosch & F. Kafka) just in case the peloton were already on their way south or about to leave, and my route north might not have coincided. Whereas I knew they'd be heading south on Hackwood Road, the way I'd come in to town. So I parked up, and waited. And waited. Which at least gave me a breather after thirty-eight or so miles. Text from Simon at 2.40, after four punctures (!) they were on the way south from Tesco. And after ten minutes or so, the first riders appeared, and waymarking one of the first turns after that gave me the opportunity to say hello to everyone. And then back south, the way I had came then for a few miles, then on south-west towards Winchester. The stop at the Shell garage (attendant maintaining his profession's reputation for surly customer service) was a much-welcomed opportunity to recharge my own batteries and change the Hope's, even if the place certainly wasn't. And then on we went, past the Other Football Club in Hampshire (I felt obliged to call 'S***hole') to the Hythe ferry, well in time for the 7.30am sailing. One pleasant trip & what seemed like an interminable walk across the pier later, we were ready to ride on.

As ever, the New Forest was lovely to ride through. Glorious scenery, wildlife in the middle of the road, what's not to like? :smile: Joined Team Just a Bit Quicker (as it turned out to be) and we reached Lymington shortly after nine. Our host (who turned out to be a bit of a keen cyclist himself) had been expecting 15 not 25, so an additional table was commandeered. Breakfast was a touch pricey, but worth it. Absolutely cracking, up there with the best FNRttC nosh.

Not long after ten I bade farewell to Team Waiting For Beer and made my way back northeast. Oh the benefits of hindsight...What I should have done was just go north to Brockenhurst, then back through Lyndhurst to the western edge of Southampton, A33 to avoid the city centre, onto the A3024 which leads straight to the A27. But oh no, I set up a route on Bikehike, and that didn't go quite to plan. First, the Open Street Map tried to send me on an entirely non-existent path west of Beaulieu. Backtracked, through Beaulieu and up to the toll bridge at Eling- that bit was fine, would have made an excellent alternative to the Hythe ferry. Then I somehow or other went off the A33 into Southampton city centre. Not fine, more work by Kafka & Bosch's acolytes in urban planning. Went over the Itchen Bridge rather than the Northam one, no problem I thought, easy enough to get to the A27...er, not quite. Ended up going round the same roundabout a couple of times plus up and down another stretch (bad signage plus the need to avoid the M27...
a bit hairy) before I managed to get on the A27 east. From there, straightforward trip home, back just after two, 132.5 miles done.

Thanks one and all, same again next year?

PS: A message for certain of our Reading chums.
Do not Undertake
Do not Undertake
Do not Undertake...
Thank you.

Thanks one and all, same again next year?
That'll be an undertaking in itself, Stu.

You need a Wikipedia page for your train travails - I just would not bother! Well done on scoring another 132.5 anyway.

OP
OP
sbird

sbird

Über Member
Sorry about the undertaker from Reading. I shall be issuing reminders.

Sorry about the Lymington train with the ungenerous train manager. A rare experience of sticking to the policy to spoil possibly everyone's day. And I fear one or two of my gang may have queered the pitch for those who turned up later.

But share the love is indeed the right approach as I nearly had to woman-handle one of my cohort from giving the nice patient chap in the Lymington ticket office a really poor start to his day. Not the correct approach to endearing ourselves to those who usually and generously give us space on trains when the policy says otherwise.

We rode on to Brockenhurst down the main A road which wasn't a pleasant experience; having taken the B roads and a mile longer last year I will, in future (hint taken), stick to those.

Staggering is the key to getting a large number away on the trains. So some of us selflessly elected to re-hydrate whilst taking text message updates as to how many and when the others got away. Three pints later and we staggered to Brockenhurst station, missing the first one with Tim H aboard and then getting the next. Thankfully someone had stocked up with refreshments on the journey. The Three Guineas at Reading station being our final stop.

However I shan't let the railway issues overcast what was a splendid turnout for a splendid ride. Thanks to all of you who came out to provide pleasant, interesting and amusing company. And such excellent, unselfish waymarking too - someone's done some real good training there.

A real bat of the eyelids from dell's better half and a virtual eyelid bat from User13710 above, plus other batting eyelids from the Reading contingent and I'm easily turned. We will do this ride again next year. I'm a softy for the ferry and wild animals.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
A real bat of the eyelids from dell's better half and a virtual eyelid bat from User13710 above, plus other batting eyelids from the Reading contingent and I'm easily turned. We will do this ride again next year. I'm a softy for the ferry and wild animals.
:smile:

Tim Hall

As noted elsewhere, a lovely ride and Just What Was Needed. Making Good Progress as we zipped through Candovers various, I found myself alongside dellzeqq. "You wouldn't kick this ride out of bed, would you." he said. Which sort of summed it up. Anyway, ignore my griping about the trains, it was all good. Thanks Simon for sorting it. And extra thanks for saying you'll do it again.

I found (as did TMN) our new logo:
IMGP2359.JPG

Rest of them are here

Top Bottom