Ready to chuck it out the window!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Help! I don't know whats going on here.
I fitted a new chain yesterday. The gears had been a bit lumpy - changing from 2 to 1 was a pain and it rarely dropped into gear unless I was going at speed, and changing up from 1 to 2 needed a second nudge of the gear shifter to drop it in.

I adjusted the gears the way I thought was right, but it's worse than ever!
Just had it out a test run and as I'm pedalling the gears are jumping about!

It's on the stand now and I've taken a picture.
The chain is rubbing against the far side of the front derailleur (that's the part right?) and also rubbing the tyre!
What's going on and how do I sort it. I need the bike for tomorrow and as it stands I can't ride it!

20150529_095852.png

Screw that inner screw down a quarter of a turn a time as you try it and see if it improves. Where's it touching the tyre, at the back?

Falco Frank

Über Member
Two thoughts...

Is the chain the correct length, lots of chains are supplied too long and need to be cut down (count links on your old one if you still have it).

Correct speed chain? 8 v 9 etc.

Front mech nightmare too: just been through this myself so I feel your pain!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Two thoughts...

Is the chain the correct length, lots of chains are supplied too long and need to be cut down (count links on your old one if you still have it).

Correct speed chain? 8 v 9 etc.

Front mech nightmare too: just been through this myself so I fell your pain!

I removed 2 links as the new chain was too long, it's the correct chain (9 spd)

jack smith

Veteran
First off check the wheel is correctly fitted, then

put it in the big cog at the back and small in the front

Undo the cable bolt

Screw the deralliour screw until it is just touching the chain

Back the screw off so it has a millimetre or so clearence and does not rub in the small front big back combo

Re do the cable bolt while applying abit of tension

That should sort it out, then play about with the other screw so that your chain dosent drop off the big ring

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
First off check the wheel is correctly fitted, then

put it in the big cog at the back and small in the front

Undo the cable bolt

Screw the deralliour screw until it is just touching the chain

Back the screw off so it has a millimetre or so clearence and does not rub in the small front big back combo

Re do the cable bolt while applying abit of tension

That should sort it out, then play about with the other screw so that your chain dosent drop off the big ring
which screw??

mythste

Veteran
I found this series of videos informative and easy to follow - if it helps :smile:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQncKmddahk

jack smith

Veteran
Also undo the second screw the one further away from the bike pretty much fully, then wind that in when youve sorted the low limit screw to stop the chain over shifting and coming off the chainring

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Your original reluctant change problem may be due to a sticking cable.

Removing it entirely and giving it a wipe with GT85 - or Mr Sheen if you have no GT85 - should help.

If you are not confident to remove the cable, you could just pull it from the short outer where it loops into the derailleur - that is often where they stick.

fixedfixer

Veteran
when you say the new chain is 'jumping about' have you got a worn cassette or is that ok? The rest sounds like checking wheel alignment and adjustment of limit screws / indexing. Hope you get it sorted.

Edit doh should have read you'd fixed it.

Top Bottom