Ready to chuck it out the window!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
when you say the new chain is 'jumping about' have you got a worn cassette or is that ok? The rest sounds like checking wheel alignment and adjustment of limit screws / indexing. Hope you get it sorted.

Edit doh should have read you'd fixed it.
Thanks, the cassette is fine. The mechanic tweaked the limit screws but said most of the issue was the cable tension.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Well, I gave in. I can't bloody index gears! :laugh:
I ran it up to my LBS in the car, where they had it on a stand and sorted in about 2 mins.
I am forever disgraced and we shall not mention this again :whistle:
To be honest you probably did the right thing there comes a point when no matter how good you are if things dont go according to plan you start to question your own ability.
But if you do decide to chuck it out the window let me know so i can came around and collect it.:okay:

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
To be honest you probably did the right thing there comes a point when no matter how good you are if things dont go according to plan you start to question your own ability.
But if you do decide to chuck it out the window let me know so i can came around and collect it.:okay:
Technical bike things aren't my forte. Ask me to care for a premature, ventilated baby....no problem!
As for the bike....I shall keep it for now :laugh:

andyfraser

Über Member
I can change tyres, fix punctures, clean it and fit/change various parts...but indexing....it confuddles my brain! :wacko:
I once forced myself to spend a whole Saturday afternoon learning everything I could about the gears so I could finally do them myself. I'll find out tomorrow how much of it stuck!
It's nature's way of telling you to ride fixed.
I ride fixed as well as geared. It took far less time to learn how to tension my chain than it took to learn how to index gears! I still love my road bike though.

ayceejay

Guru
Hey Scotia Lass can you care for my premature, ventilated baby? in return I will index your gears (must be something there for fnaar)
Seriously: at the back of your rear derailleur the cable passes through a 'barrel adjuster' like the one shown barrel.jpg
and this is where you adjust the tension of the cable. It is normally notched so that you can easily count the number of quarter turns you give it one way that increase the tension and remember how to get back to square one so that you can go the other way. Just a quarter turn of that puppy one way or the other makes a world of difference.

Tojo

Über Member
I can change tyres, fix punctures, clean it and fit/change various parts...but indexing....it confuddles my brain! :wacko:

Don't feel your alone in this, I love it when my mates try to put new gear on their bikes, they always end up at my door, saying I've put this on and I can't understand why it's not working, I stick it on the stand and a bit tweek and its done, they say is that all it was, what have you done, to which I reply go and get your bike mechs course and I'll tell you, if you come round and plaster my walls I don't ask I just pay you.....:wacko:

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hmmmm, this issue isn't over!
Went out today...33.5 painful miles. The gears seem to be skipping...they drop in okay but then seem to slide on the cog....it was a nightmare.
Gearing or new cassette required?

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
New chain old cassette? Could be the problem...

the cassette wuill have worn with the old chain - if this is stretched' beyond a certain point (0.75%) then its best to buy a new cassette too - otherwise the new chain will skip..

Top Bottom