Ready to start!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LibraRider

I’ve bought my bike (hybrid) and added various lights, mud guards, bells and whistles
I’ve bought my clothing (jacket, gloves, leggings, base layer)
I have my helmet

Now all is left is to get going.

I’ve not ridden a bike “properly” since I was 17. I’m now 31, over weight and unfit.
My aim is to be able to cycle 100 miles at a charity event in June to raise money for Alzheimer’s UK. Bit ambitious? Probably.
Just don’t know the best way to get started.
Obviously I need to just take the plunge and go for it and see what happens. I’m kinda scared though. What if I fall off? What if I’m more unfit than I thought?
Any advice would be appreciated. How would you advise someone with low confidence, low self esteem and low fitness levels to quite literally get back in the saddle?
Whats a good starting mileage and how often should I do it?

TIA!

L.R

It really is as simple as suck it and see, you may well find its harder than you thought , at first, just remember on your first ride don't ride until your knackered because then you will have to turn round and get home so stay close to home.
Little and often I think is the key, the distance will soon build up, you may find your backside objects to the punishment but it does get easier, honest, you may decide to try padded cycling shorts/longs.
The main thing to remember is to enjoy it :bicycle:, and let us know how you get on.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well done!
Start slowly, gentle routes at an easy pace. You’re not 17 now! But, the good news is that bike-fitness build fairly quickly. Always take the first and last 10 mins really easily, get out regularly (but not every day at first) and leave your cycle computer at home, forget time and distance, just enjoy the ride.
100 miles in June should be no big deal if you build up gradually. Don’t obsess about *ENERGY bars, drinks, gels etc, plain water is fine up to 40 miles.
But most of all enjoy cycling in your own way.

*Edit - thanks to @Dogtrousers

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe you could find a group ride or two to join. British Cycling offer some (if you're a woman, Breeze might be worth a look). Or do you have any friends who cycle?

At this time of year, be very careful if it's frosty / icy - roads and paths. If you fall off and are not injured / the bike isn't damaged, just get back on and keep going :okay:

It doesn't matter if you're unfit, just do as much as you can and build up slowly :okay:
Add some brisk walks into your routine, will help with fitness and weight bearing exercise is also important. If overweight, you might need to assess what you eat, just cycling probably won't lead to much weight loss without other lifestyle changes.

If you're stiff after riding, have a hot bath or shower to ease achy muscles. Be prepared for your backside to be sore until you get used to riding (even if you have padded shorts, if you do it's better to not wear underwear with them)

Last edited:

BigMeatball

Also, try and go to one of those basic bike maintenance courses that teach you how to deal with the most common technical issues you might encounter on the road.

Most local bicycle shops organise them regularly.

There's nothing worse than being away from home with a puncture you don't know how to fix.

Just start with a few little rides ( around a local park or something) to start. No more than 5 or 10 miles in total. Get used to riding, and develop the natural toughening of any soft bits, and start to get the cycling specific muscles working and conditioning. Get used to working the gears, and starting and stopping. Repeat these types of rides until everything starts to feel a bit more normal / natural. As soon as you’re comfy and a bit confident, slowly increase your mileages, and vary your routes. If you work in a stop at a cafe or the like, it makes it a bit easier. To cut a long story short, ride about, don’t worry about ‘fitness’ and distance just yet. Enjoy. If you can learn and practice how to fix punctures, that would definitely be a bonus too.
You might want to check out something like this as well
https://www.letsride.co.uk/
Search for ‘easygoing’ routes, in your locale and then sign up on a few. You’ll be with likeminded individuals, and have British Cycling trained leaders to help you along.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm a fan of saying start off riding to and round a park or similar and back for each trip until that feels easy, then 3-5 miles (maybe to shops and back?) repeatedly until that feels easy, then 10km (there are a few parkrides or pedal-and-chat or similar names around this length) then 10 miles, then 20km, 15mi, 30km, 40km/25mi, 50km, 40mi, 50mi, 100km, 75mi and then you'd be able to tackle 100mi with sufficient time.

What happens if you fall off? You hit the ground. Best avoided but not always possible. What do other readers think of practising both going to a park, riding on grass and deliberately jumping off a few times? And about practising "emergency turns" which I've used a few times to avoid idiot motorists?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hi LibraRider :hello:

Be wary of people suggesting 'only' 5-10 miles for your early rides! 5 miles is a huge distance for someone new (or returning after such a long break) and you should be happy if initially you can go out and ride for a couple of miles and return with a smile on your face. You are starting at the hardest time of year due to the weather, temperatures and short days, but if you can get out there and try riding a few times a week in these conditions you will be well set up for when things start improving in the spring and increasing the distances then will be much more appealing.

I have given this advice a few times before so I hope you don't mind if I just cut and paste it here again?
Really just ride more. I have said this over and over again since joining the forum, ride more, ride to work, ride to your friends house, ride to the newsagent, the pub, the cash machine, to the park, in fact just ride any short routine trips that would normally be a car or public transport journey and also try some longer ones too, they might be easier and more satisfying than you expect. Cycling can be incorporated into a daily routine easier than you might imagine.
Your fitness will follow your increasing activity. It isn't rocket science but it can be fun, rewarding and very satisfying.
L.R, just get out there and ride. Get a lock so you can secure it at any stops and try to get used to being on the bike so it becomes a natural thing to do.
Do you drive? This is probably a big help if you do because you should already have a reasonable grasp of the rules of the road. Cycling on the road is essentially the same set of rules regards priority and giving way etc, just be aware that motorists don't always expect you or treat you by these rules!

Where abouts in the country are you? There may be a forum member that can help you on your first few rides just while you iron out any initial problems and gain some confidence.

What is the event you are doing? 100 miles sounds like an impossible distance to 99% of the population but actually, once you get to riding about 50 miles, the stretch to 100 isn't that great and on the day, with all the excitement, crowds, company and conversations with people you meet you will find that the 100 miles is likely to just fly by. Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress :okay:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I hadn't been on a bike for 45 years when I decided to have a go. Go slow, even of you only manage to ride for 5 or 10 minutes be satisfied with that. Do that for a few days then try to do a bit longer. Don't rush, don't overdo it. Listen to your body. If it says enough then stop.

Start a new diet as well. Just cut down on the amount you eat. The 2 combined will start to give you results.

And most of all, enjoy yourself. If you don't you won't want to go out on your bike. Good luck. And well done for having a go.:okay:

rivers

How far can I go?
As others have said, take it slow. Start with an easy route (park, canal tow path, etc), and increase the distance from there. Once you begin to encounter hills, don't be intimidated by them. Pick a landmark on the hill, and try to make it there. Don't beat yourself up if you can't. Keep that point in your mind, and work towards riding to it. Once you get there, pick another point further up that same hill and try to get there. Keep going with that until you can make it to the top.
Find cycling friends, it helps the miles tick by. Once you are comfortable on your bike, and start commuting to work (or part way if you live quite far from work).
But most of all, have fun.

snorri

Legendary Member
Start with short trips, measure these trips in minutes rather than miles, maybe 20-30 minutes. Make sure you return to base before you start to feel sore, that way you will look forward to getting out on your next short trip, which may be a little longer than the previous short trip^_^.
Enjoy your cycling:smile:.

tom73

Guru
Slow and steady go round the block or up and down the street a few times. Just get use to the bike and being on it.
Yes some may thing your mad going up and down the same street but who cares at least your going something positive to improve your health.

Miles will come as will fitness and you will be surprised how soon it comes.
Remember if you need a rest have one it really not important on how long you take to start with.
If the traffic get's a bit heavy then stop rest up till you feel ok about it.
Work out when it's quite traffic wise or see what traffic free cycle routes are near you.

Once you start to feel better about being on your bike. See what routes you can do around you find a few that you can mix and match /cut short or carry on which ever you feel on the day.

Above all enjoy I was in the same place about 18 mouths ago and now I can't wait for the next ride.
I can't lie you will have days when you never want to see the bike again but the good times more than make up for it.
It's not about how you start it all about where you end up.

figbat

Slippery scientist
You pretty much describe me from about 5 years ago. I was overweight, unfit and hadn't ridden for donkeys' years. My first rides were 3-4 miles 3 times a week and pretty much did me in (I must admit to being quite competitive so was always trying to beat my last time). However, over time the distances got further, the speeds increased and the weight dropped (in combination with a calorie-controlled diet). 6 months later I had lost 3 stone (19kg) and was riding 20+ miles for fun. Climbs that I used to dread were now barely noticeable. Climbs that I used to avoid I'd take on with relish.

I'll admit I have never actually done a 100 mile ride, but I have done a few 100km ones, the hardest of which was entirely off-road. When I think about a long ride now I don't worry about fitness, I think more about comfort. I can do long distances on my MTB with no issues but on my road bike I suffer some saddle-related issues that I am still ironing out. Assuming your 100 miler is not very hilly or technical (which charity rides tend not to be) I'd say it is perfectly attainable. Even if there is a killer climb on the route, there's no shame in walking and I guarantee you won't be the only one doing it.

As for the self-esteem, that's a very personal challenge that will be difficult for us to comment on. However I will say that the improvement in my own self-confidence was marked when I'd lost the tummy and got fitter. I never really cared about what other people thought about me but I did care about what I thought of myself. A little bit of fitness, a bit of tone and the notable improvement to my fitness made me much more determined to keep going and gave me a sense of purpose. I was no longer a fat guy on a bike, I was a cyclist and when you're a cyclist you'll be surprised how many other cyclists there are around you that you didn't know about.

For me the main challenge was the discipline to get out there. It is so easy to look at the weather, look at the time, look at the sofa and give up - I'll go tomorrow... missing one ride won't hurt... it's too cold/wet/dry/hot/temperate/hard...… If you get through that and get out there, it may well be a horrible experience riding into a headwind with horizontal rain and no feeling in your face... but OMG it feels good afterwards; not only good to be warm and dry but good that you did it, didn't back down, put in the hard yards and have earned that space on the sofa. Before you know it you'll be feeling twitchy when you can't get out.

Top Bottom