Ready to start!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I wouldn't bother with Ride London. Far too many people for it to be enjoyable. I spent 1/4 of the time walking last year due to bottlenecks. Where abouts are you based? CC members may be able to recommend local sportives that are for more enjoyable, and probably a lot cheaper

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

I wouldn't bother with Ride London. Far too many people for it to be enjoyable. I spent 1/4 of the time walking last year due to bottlenecks. Where abouts are you based? CC members may be able to recommend local sportives that are for more enjoyable, and probably a lot cheaper

Ah that's a shame.

I live in Birmingham - so the other option is the Vélo - as far as im aware?

They cycle right past where I live actually. I remember standing in the street last year admiring them all as they went past.
Going to be such an achievement if I can do it!

rivers

How far can I go?
Ah that's a shame.

I live in Birmingham - so the other option is the Vélo - as far as im aware?

They cycle right past where I live actually. I remember standing in the street last year admiring them all as they went past.

Are you specifically looking for closed roads?

rivers

How far can I go?
I think so yeah - for now

Fair enough, just don't want to go recommending open road sportives. If you want a bit of an adventure/don't mind travelling, I think Etape Loch Ness still has some charity places (Macmillan I think) available. It's limited to about 5000 riders, 66 miles in length, mostly rolling with one very long hill. I'm travelling up in April with a bunch of my friends for it. Might be something to aim for, although might also be too soon seeing as it's winter

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The Velo will be a good target for you and as you say nice and local. Having ridden both the Velo and RideLondon multiple times I would say the Velo is more relaxed and less busy. London is more spectacular though.

CXRAndy

Guru
Start real easy, 1 mile then 2, so on. In a matter of a few weeks, you will be doing 5-10 miles. If you live near the country side or a nice park, then getting out regularly is easier. Speak to local cycle clubs, alot have beginner ride outs, most clubs are very welcoming to new members, so dont be afraid. We've all been a beginner at some point.

Being 31, that is no age and if the bug bites lots of time to be an excellent very fit rider.

I didn't start riding until my late 40s, now mid 50s, fitter than I've ever been. I can still out cycle my teenage/twenty something kids:laugh:

nickAKA

Über Member

You'll murder it - start riding now, get some miles in your legs and rest will follow. You're young, don't fixate on diet or fitness, there's no substitute for being out there and just doing it.
Once you've got some fitness & confidence you can start thinking about the trip itself, but the reality of a charity ride / sportive is there will be plenty of people in the same position as you - there will be loads of refreshment stops along the way so you can always stop & have a breather - nobody is timing you, it's not the tour de france.
That first step (pedal stroke?) is always the most daunting but you CAN do it :okay:

Hi LibraRider :hello:

Be wary of people suggesting 'only' 5-10 miles for your early rides! 5 miles is a huge distance for someone new (or returning after such a long break)
Really:rolleyes:. 5 miles on a bike is really not difficult even for someone who’s only just learned to ride a bike. It’s more about the effort for the route, keep it simple and flat at first.
Any less than that, and getting the bike out of the shed is a bit pointless.

Really:rolleyes:. 5 miles on a bike is really not difficult even for someone who’s only just learned to ride a bike. It’s more about the effort for the route, keep it simple and flat at first.
Any less than that, and getting the bike out of the shed is a bit pointless.

I know a few people who couldn't ride a bike 5 miles, as for anything less is pointless, to you maybe but the advice above isn't meant for you ,
A lot of utility rides are less than 5 miles

crossfire

Don`t know what your area is like, but I live in a built up area, so worked out a route that was not too long or difficult and which could easily be extended by making the loop bigger, going up and across roads, until I felt confident enough to go further. I now have a route that goes out into the country, includes a couple of hills and is about 12 miles long and takes about an hour. I also have a looong one that is nearer 25 miles but has a really big hill, not done too often though. Just find a short circular route you are comfy with but can easily extend if feeling good
john

Reactions: C R

icowden

Veteran
It's worth looking around you for some sportives with shorter routes. Also try and find some enjoyable car free routes.
There is a site here https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/50122/cycling_in_birmingham/1322/where_can_i_cycle/3 which could be useful. has a lot of maps of resurfaced canal towpaths for example.

If you don't mind travelling things like the New Forest spring sportive have short (30 miles), standard (50 miles) and long (80 miles) routes.
Commuting definitely helps as it just gets your legs going daily.

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

You'll murder it - start riding now, get some miles in your legs and rest will follow. You're young, don't fixate on diet or fitness, there's no substitute for being out there and just doing it.
Once you've got some fitness & confidence you can start thinking about the trip itself, but the reality of a charity ride / sportive is there will be plenty of people in the same position as you - there will be loads of refreshment stops along the way so you can always stop & have a breather - nobody is timing you, it's not the tour de france.
That first step (pedal stroke?) is always the most daunting but you CAN do it :okay:
Thanks Nick

I really appreciate the positive talk!

I’m going to try and go out this weekend.

I agree, the first ride is probably the most difficult - once it’s done I’ll be happy!

icowden

Veteran
Equally - be aware that at the moment it's cold, often wet and miserable. It's much easier to go further more often when the weather is sunny, the wind is calm and your face isn't freezing off. One of the good things about commuting if it is your only easy option, is that it makes you go out in all weathers.

If the weather is horrible, don't let that put you off trying again another time.

Some very good advice here.

If it's of any help, I was like you about 6 years ago. I vividly recall my "first" adult bike ride. I managed 6km, in NL, (so flat as a pancake!). I thought I was going to die! 😀. I didn't!

Everyone is different, but I found concentrating on enjoying myself rather than measuring myself was a significant factor in keeping myself motivated.

Watching a regular route change through the seasons can be very interesting!

Best of luck!

Top Bottom