Ready to start!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
My advice would be get a decent bike carrier for your car so you can take your bike to either an off road trail or quiet rural roads so you can start riding away from traffic, you can then enjoy the experience and build up your confidence. Top tip about taking a lock, also make sure you take a rucksack so you can strip off or add layers if you’re too hot or too cold and plenty of water, you need to be hydrated.

vickster

Legendary Member
My advice would be get a decent bike carrier for your car so you can take your bike to either an off road trail or quiet rural roads so you can start riding away from traffic, you can then enjoy the experience and build up your confidence. Top tip about taking a lock, also make sure you take a rucksack so you can strip off or add layers if you’re too hot or too cold and plenty of water, you need to be hydrated.
You assume they have a car

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

you may find your backside objects to the punishment but it does get easier, honest, you may decide to try padded cycling shorts/longs.

Haha! I have thought of this already! Got myself a padded saddle cover AND some padded leggings!

Don't wanna be cruising for a bruising - so to speak.

Thanks for the response :smile:

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

Be wary of people suggesting 'only' 5-10 miles for your early rides! 5 miles is a huge distance for someone new (or returning after such a long break) and you should be happy if initially you can go out and ride for a couple of miles and return with a smile on your face.

Yeah I thought that. I rode to the bottom of my street and back the other day - just to test the height of the saddle was comfortable for me. Was only about 500-1000m at most - down hill, then up hill to get back. I was cream crackered!

Im hoping this is just because the tyre was a bit flat and I was shaking like bambi on ice - rather than the alternative of being more lacking in fitness that I originally thought!

Do you drive? This is probably a big help if you do because you should already have a reasonable grasp of the rules of the road. Cycling on the road is essentially the same set of rules regards priority and giving way etc, just be aware that motorists don't always expect you or treat you by these rules!

I do drive, so I guess that helps. I do need to brush up on my road safety though.
I have already thought about the highway code lessons we had in school. Cycling around the playground - pretending we were on the road.
Do you have any pointers/resources with regards to this that you could direct me to?

Where abouts in the country are you? There may be a forum member that can help you on your first few rides just while you iron out any initial problems and gain some confidence.

Ah i never thought of that! Great idea!

I live in south west Birmingham, if anyone would like to help me out :smile:

What is the event you are doing? 100 miles sounds like an impossible distance to 99% of the population but actually, once you get to riding about 50 miles, the stretch to 100 isn't that great and on the day, with all the excitement, crowds, company and conversations with people you meet you will find that the 100 miles is likely to just fly by.

I'm planning on the Birmingham Velo....
If not that, then RideLondon in August
Or both - if I can make the Velo and I recover by August haha

Thanks so much for all your advice.

I will definitely keep you updated :smile:

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

For me the main challenge was the discipline to get out there. It is so easy to look at the weather, look at the time, look at the sofa and give up - I'll go tomorrow... missing one ride won't hurt... it's too cold/wet/dry/hot/temperate/hard...… If you get through that and get out there, it may well be a horrible experience riding into a headwind with horizontal rain and no feeling in your face... but OMG it feels good afterwards; not only good to be warm and dry but good that you did it, didn't back down, put in the hard yards and have earned that space on the sofa. Before you know it you'll be feeling twitchy when you can't get out.

Thanks for your reply!

I think the hardest part for me is the fear at the moment.
I guess the fear of failing.
The fear of realising actually how unfit I am.
The fear of falling off.
The fear of looking like a giant luminous elephant on wheels when I put my bright jacket on.

Wouldn't of thought I once used to compete in national and European competitions in martial arts....

Growing up sucks!

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

Thanks so much for all of those who have responded :smile: I appreciate all of your comments and advice.

I think maybe I just need to grow a pair and get on with it. See what happens. Put some music in my ears and see where I end up.

All easier said than done though!
I hope I don’t talk myself out of it...

My Nan and grandad will be so proud of me if I manage to get to 100miles!

boydj

Legendary Member
Lots of good advice here. One good way of getting started is to use your bike for local errands, from a few hundred yards to a few miles, taking it nice and easy. This could mean you going out two or three times in a day, which will be fine as long as you stay well within yourself. After a few weeks of getting used to being on a bike, then you can think about stretching yourself a bit more and gradually extending the distance once or twice a week.

You'll find it useful to have a good jacket to wear and a way of carrying a small amount of luggage on the bike - like a saddlebag or a rack and rack bag.

vickster

Legendary Member
Another option to get saddle time is to start cycling to work if it's practical or appropriate

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you are planning on Ride London, then I hope you have your place already. I am not sure if the Velo has sold out, it usually does. You might be able to get a charity place though if you think you can raise a fair bit of money.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you are planning on Ride London, then I hope you have your place already. I am not sure if the Velo has sold out, it usually does. You might be able to get a charity place though if you think you can raise a fair bit of money.
OP says June. Ride London is 15 August this year

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

Oh really?

Hm - Alzheimers UK (who I am planning on cycling for) has charity places for both - would it be worth registering with them now do you think? To secure a place?

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh really?

Hm - Alzheimers UK (who I am planning on cycling for) has charity places for both - would it be worth registering with them now do you think? To secure a place?
Yes if you want to ride. Places limited and once the ballot for RLS is drawn next month, charity places will be in higher demand.
There’ll be a fee and a minimum sponsorship to raise

Top Bottom