Real Cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
what exactly is a real cyclist? im not sure i have seen to many people pretend to cycle?
Having said that my nephew has a balance bike with no pedals so technically he could be described as a 'walkalist' are we talking about people like him.
Even though he is young and does not have a real bike, I do advise that he wears a helmet as a small bump on the head may result in you doing things such as ranting on forums, telling people what to do with their lives and choices.

Real cyclists use two panniers?

OP
OP
G

Grumble

Some one has replied that the Wehrmacht wore helmets. This is precisely my point - quick run through:
(1) Helmets were around in the middle ages. They deflected sword blows ( low momentum ) but if you had a mace you could still knock his block off!
(2) They were gradually phased out with the arrival of fire arms since they could (eventually ) be penetrated by bullets.
(3) They were reintroduced in WW1 to protect the heads of men in trenches from falling debris ( low momentum. ) The same applies to the use of helmets on building sites ( dropped tools. )
(4) This is totally different when you are flying through the air, here you have the high momentum of your body driving your head into the ground. What you need is not a pointless helmet but what you have in cars for exactly the same reason - AIR BAGS!

Oh dear. I'm not a 'real cyclist'. I drive the car more miles than I ride, but cycle more often - to/from work.
If I'm not real, I must be imaginary, but in who's mind? Must be the OP's mind as it feels very narrow in here.

Well, I speak for all imaginary cyclists - there's more of us and everyone's points are valid.

RaRa

People wonder how the Nazi Party and later the East German Regime could get away with what they did, after all the average German is pretty much like the average Brit. Well that's the problem they both accept nonsense emanating from their preceived 'superiors' without questioning it - they obey orders. Very useful on the battlefield as our history has shown but an absolute disaster for a Democratic society.
Are you seriously trying to link Germany and WW2 events with cycle helmet usage?

You sir have a problem.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
WTF?

Some "real" cyclists like to wear helmets. Some don't. Almost all would resist compulsion.

But what makes you think you represent all "real" cyclists?

BTW, I choose not to wear a helmet.

green1

Über Member
Yeah cause the British Empire was a right barrel of laughs for all the countrys that England invaded/discoverd.
Make your mind up. Britain/British is not interchangeable with England/English. It really grates with all the Brits like me who are not bloody English.

Some one has replied that the Wehrmacht wore helmets. This is precisely my point - quick run through:
(1) Helmets were around in the middle ages. They deflected sword blows ( low momentum ) but if you had a mace you could still knock his block off!
(2) They were gradually phased out with the arrival of fire arms since they could (eventually ) be penetrated by bullets.
(3) They were reintroduced in WW1 to protect the heads of men in trenches from falling debris ( low momentum. ) The same applies to the use of helmets on building sites ( dropped tools. )
(4) This is totally different when you are flying through the air, here you have the high momentum of your body driving your head into the ground. What you need is not a pointless helmet but what you have in cars for exactly the same reason - AIR BAGS!

Re: Your point 4 and your frequent references to 20th Century German military attire.

Basing my encyclopedic knowledge entirely on films featuring Ernest Borgnine and James Coburn, I ought to point out that until about 1917 the helmet favoured by the German Army had a spike at the crown with a point on the end of it. There was some point to this helmet, by definition.

The 'coal scuttle' helmets used after that and throughout the later military campaigns of the NS regime had no spike on the crown and no point.

These later helmets were thus pointless.

1. Is this the point you were trying to make?

2. If not, why not?

3. How many fish make seven?

As ever, I hope that I have helped. However.... (etc).

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
IM A REAL PROPER CYCLIST
anor1.jpg
EVER, EVER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom