Real Track question, not Fixie!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hi

I dont know what section this best lies in, no track specific section and its not a bike model selection question so im taking a punt and posting it here. Sorry if it belongs elsewhere.

So im in the process of buying my 1st road bike, having ridden a bmx to commute for past year and am training for some sportives later in the season. As I live in manchester it seems a shame not to make use of the fantastic velodrome for a bit of fun at their beginner sessions as well as being functional in developing a nice even pedalling technique, sprinting ability and general fitness. So am also looking for a cheap and cheerful track legal bike for some fun.

So this leads to my questions, I take a 58cm bike, measured on raleigh sportive bikes or cannondale caad8 bikes. However I read that it is typical for one to ride a smaller track bike for the more aggresive position with less emphasis on comfort. How much smaller should you typically go?

I would go ask a local bike shop to be sized and test ride, if they would be of any use, but non of them stock real track bikes, only "fixies" which mostly to my knowledge arent track legal, braze ons, 170mm cranks whatever and also have different geometry hence the shops have no real knowledge of track.

Ive located a relatively cheap bike that im interested in, fully track legal, but its 52cm, is this way to small? I was thinking for track id need a 54 or 56, but i dont know how drastic you should typically downsize, my estimates were just guesses really.

Basically I cant test ride it, but its price is worth a risk if its ballpark okay sizing, but if its miles off, ill skip it.

Thanks.

ASC1951

Guru
How about going down to the Velodrome and asking them? They do hire track bikes out, so they may well have an end-of-season one for sale, too.

02GF74

Über Member
you take 58 cm frame - how do you know that is correct?

rule of thumb for correct frame size is: 1/3 your height or trouser measurement less 10 inches.

what is important, sometimes nore so, is the length of the top tube, measured horizontally - you need to know thatfor both bikes and compare.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Yup, see if you can join a session and hire a bike. That'll give you a better feel for what you need. Track frames tend to have higher bottom brackets, hence you need aa slightly lower top tube. The positioning isn't critical unless you're really going for it seriously - but compared with road use, you're not going to be riding for long.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
02GF74
I know 58cm is correct for the bikes im looking to test ride and potentialy buy for road use because I was sized on a number of sizes in 3 different local bike shops (Cannondale, Specialized and Raleigh bikes were all used), based on an estimate of the shop assistance, each and every time, sitting on bike adjusting it a little and then checking how it fitted 58cm was the correct size in all instance. I couldnt test ride the bike because of snow though, hopefully it clears by weekend, its mainly gone here now.

Very true top tube is important being that you cant adjust it. But for the bikes I was sized on the top tube length for a 58cm was both in my opinion (based on comfort) and the shop assistant based on looking at my arm shape in different positions the correct size.

ASC1951 thats a great idea, I was actually going to phone them up and ask about that but I was just asking here incase someone had a good rule of thumb, more opinions the better right? but great idea that they may have some bikes up for sale, possibly some velodrome users 2nd hand bike for sale on a notice board there too (which I hasnt though of until you mentioned it).

Ian H, again great idea, possibly ill pass this bike over and do that. I was going to do that intially (I am going to start going to the thursday sessions if they have room), until I found what may possibly be a bargain and it got my brain ticking thinking.

02GF74

Über Member
Rob3rt said:
02GF74
I know 58cm is correct for the bikes im looking to test ride and potentialy buy for road use because I was sized on a number of sizes in 3 different local bike shops (Cannondale, Specialized and Raleigh bikes were all used), based on an estimate of the shop assistance, each and every time, sitting on bike adjusting it a little and then checking how it fitted 58cm was the correct size in all instance.

Depending on the shop, they will sit you on a bike they have in stock and try to convince you to buy it since it is their business - not thought of that?

A little bit of simple math would confirm that would it not? The result should be within a couple inches or less, unless you have extreme body shape.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
02GF74 said:
Depending on the shop, they will sit you on a bike they have in stock and try to convince you to buy it since it is their business - not thought of that?

A little bit of simple math would confirm that would it not? The result should be within a couple inches or less, unless you have extreme body shape.

Well yes I did consider that. They sat me on a number of different bikes, i.e bikes with same frame, different groupset, or alternative bike by same brand(and in evans also a bike of different brand to see how the fit varied) at no point did they try to convince me to buy anything they had in the store. They checked stock of bikes on their database to see if they had the model i liked in stock in the size they had estimated by sitting me on similar or lower equiped bikes. The specialized and raleigh, I had no intention of buying them and they knew that, they just used them to get a rough sizing because thats the bike they had in stock in that size and didnt have the bike i wanted in the correct size. I tried 3 different shops, and non of them tried to flog me a bike they had in the showroom, yet all of them tried me on different bikes all saying 58cm.

The formula says that I would require a 60cm frame. But considering the formula as you put is should be within a couple of inches or less, leaves approximatelly +-5cm error (meaning I could take a 55 to 65cm frame, its far from accurate) so the 58cm sounds like a pretty close match to me (being within one inch error of the formula), this stengthens that I have been sized pretty well by 3 different places at 58cm. Of course all bikes vary a bit, hence why im going to test ride the bike before buying it.

Im 6'2" with inner leg of approx 85cm.

Regarding the track bike, I didnt want a difinitive answer of "you will need xxcm size" just a typical ballpark figure on how much smaller people usually go to get an idea thats all. Im not expecting anyone to size me via the internet.

Young Un

Righty ho. 52 firstly, is wayyy too small for you! Most people ride the same frame size on the track as they dom on raod, as the geo of a track bike (steeper angles, and short head tube) allows for the racey position. You can get a dolan precursor for around the 510 mark which is a very popular and very well recognised track bike, that is more than enough able to cope with the demands you will put it through.

Hope this helps,
Steve

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Young Un said:
Righty ho. 52 firstly, is wayyy too small for you! Most people ride the same frame size on the track as they dom on raod, as the geo of a track bike (steeper angles, and short head tube) allows for the racey position. You can get a dolan precursor for around the 510 mark which is a very popular and very well recognised track bike, that is more than enough able to cope with the demands you will put it through.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Thanks, this is the type of info I was looking for!

The only reason I asked was because I was unsure of the under-sizing issue, being that I read in a couple of places people downsized. It wasnt an assertion, it was a curiosity.

I have been looking at the Dolan's actually, hopefully a local shop can get one in to try it out. Dont really fancy buying a bike online unless I have had chance to ride it, or at least a spin on a turbo trainer.

02GF74

Über Member
Rob3rt said:
Im 6'2" with inner leg of approx 85cm.

1 in taller than me, same leg.

62 cm (1/3 ht) and 58 cm from leg;

now depending on how the frame is measured, bootootom bracket to midway of top tube (1)or to top of seat tube (2), then i am on 57 cm(1) and 60 cm (2).

so 58 cm, measure to mid top tube is correcty for you.

Top Bottom