Real world comparison of Garmin 810 vs 520

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
I've been itching to buy the Garmin Edge 520 bundle (HR + cadence etc.) for a little while and it's been at a great price of £220 but I've been watching the Black Friday offers.

Tonight the 810 bundle was on offer at Amazon in one of their lightning deals at a further £50 off down to £200.

After all that waffle, has anybody got any real world experiences of the 810 and 520?

Have I made the right choice in going for the 810 over the 520?

Thanks for any thoughts and feedback.

Keith Oates

Janner
They are both good until they decide to stop working.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gavintc

Guru
I think few on here will be able to compare directly as you don't tend to have both. I upgraded from a 705 to a 810. There are more software issues with the 810 than the 705 it freezes more and I don't like not being able to turn it off to save power in a cafe and not be able to resume the ride. You could do this with the 705.

bpsmith

Veteran
I upgraded from 510 to 520 recently. 520 is a much better unit. Does everything the 810 can do, and more, once you update the base maps. This is done for free and very easily too.

OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru
Thanks guys.

I've cancelled my order with Amazon. (Nice and straight forward :okay:) and will be ordering the 520 :biggrin:

I can't comment on the 810, sorry but the 520 is an excellent unit. I agree with BP that upgrading the maps is important but that whole process only takes a few minutes. So far the only issue I've had is the odd stubborn sync. Otherwise the 2-way updating with Strava segments etc and overall ease of use is great. I had downloaded the course GPX for the sportive yesterday and found the turn-by-turn directions really useful before a couple of junctions where I'd missed the first road signs. Thumbs up!

OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru
Cheers @Sbudge
I've taken the plunge and ordered the 520 bundle.

Another reason for the 520 was the the sensors are the newer / updated ones and also the fact I can load new base maps onto it. Should be here Wednesday - can't wait :smile:

Red17

Veteran
I think few on here will be able to compare directly as you don't tend to have both. I upgraded from a 705 to a 810. There are more software issues with the 810 than the 705 it freezes more and I don't like not being able to turn it off to save power in a cafe and not be able to resume the ride. You could do this with the 705.

I never have that issue with my 810 - I often turn it off when I'm in a cafe or stopped for a while and it resumes again when I restart it.

It did go through a spell of freezing earlier in the year but touch wood its been pretty faultless since then.

Top Bottom