Realising how fragile you can be

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hadn't ridden for quite a while so a couple of weeks ago I decided to take one of the bikes out for a quick spin. Got 500 yards from the house and got pincered between a car and the kerb (think they were in the phone as just as they were about to hit me and the kerb they did an almighty swerve and sped off).

I ended up hitting the kerb and going over the top. Knew straight away that my elbow has dislocated... dragged the bike home and off to hospital I went.

Lots of details later...I’ve ended up having to have an elbow replacement and am in a cast right up to the shoulder :-(

Initially, I threw my toys out of the pram and sold six of the bike in a week (Mrs Easytigers very happy!). But now having had a bit of time to think I’ve put one of the bikes on the turbo in the garage and have got back on it!

Not sure if I’ll ever have the nerves to ride road again and I guess I’ll have to see how the recovery goes (consultant on Tuesday). Anyway, 5 minutes changed a lot of things!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Badly broke my back at just 13mph. Luckily not paralysed.

Long time to recover. Still got my bikes, but ride off road. Might be time to think about selling the fixie as On-one has just brought out a new alloy 29er MTB frame

Sharky

Guru
The old saying "once bitten, twice shy" is very true. Once you've had a spill like that, your eyes & ears and mind become sensitive to similar situations and you begin to take avoidance action before anything actually happens. So be reassured that getting back on the road will happen and it will be safer.

D

Deleted member 1258

Hadn't ridden for quite a while so a couple of weeks ago I decided to take one of the bikes out for a quick spin. Got 500 yards from the house and got pincered between a car and the kerb (think they were in the phone as just as they were about to hit me and the kerb they did an almighty swerve and sped off).

I ended up hitting the kerb and going over the top. Knew straight away that my elbow has dislocated... dragged the bike home and off to hospital I went.

Lots of details later...I’ve ended up having to have an elbow replacement and am in a cast right up to the shoulder :-(

Initially, I threw my toys out of the pram and sold six of the bike in a week (Mrs Easytigers very happy!). But now having had a bit of time to think I’ve put one of the bikes on the turbo in the garage and have got back on it!

Not sure if I’ll ever have the nerves to ride road again and I guess I’ll have to see how the recovery goes (consultant on Tuesday). Anyway, 5 minutes changed a lot of things!

:hugs: heal quick my friend.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Oh no. So sorry to hear that Russell. It might take a while, but your confidence does gradually come back. As Sharky says, you will be extra aware of what’s going on around you. Unfortunately, there’s always going to be dozy pillocks on the roads.
Thanks Mo! Ironically, have done more miles on the turbo than on the bike in the last year!

Smudge

Veteran
Incidents with car drivers are commonplace with me now, with varying levels of how dangerous they are. On my ebike, yesterdays incident was a car pulling out on me when i was on a roundabout, if i hadn't of braked really hard i would have gone into the side of him.
Many car drivers dont see us by not looking for us, or we are just a pita to them and an annoying thing that holds them up. So they often drive disrespectfully around us.
I get far more respect from other motorists and far less incidences when riding my motorcycle.

Drago

Legendary Member
Holy Mary mother of Trump! I know all about elbows, mine being nicely supplemented with meccano, but a whole new elbow???! I hope you ream their insurers until their ancestors squeal.

Slick

Guru

Really sorry to hear about this, sounds like you got a sore one. I hope that you heal quickly and you regain your confidence to get back on the road. Frightening when it suddenly dawns on us just how quickly life can change. Take care.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When I was knocked off the year before breaking my spine, the other cyclist that was hit, mashed up his elbow which needed a number of surgeries. Driver did a bunk.

It's why I wear armour on my elbows if doing and hard off road where there is a good chance of a crash.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So sorry, hope you heal soon without too many knock on effects. This talking and driving on the phone is a real curse by some barstewards who don't seem to learn or realise how dangerous it is. Down here they text too.
More power to you getting in the saddle again.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Really sorry to hear about this, sounds like you got a sore one. I hope that you heal quickly and you regain your confidence to get back on the road. Frightening when it suddenly dawns on us just how quickly life can change. Take care.
Cheers Slick

Top Bottom