Realistic commuting distances

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J4CKO

My commute has the occasional pillock, no actual agression in a year, in fact I must commend most drivers on their sensible and considerate approach, there will always be cocks and you will have learnt how to spot them in a car and cycling will hone this instinct, always assume that the car driver is going to make a bad decision or hasnt seen you, be very deliberat, almost exagerate your movements, dont dither and dont be afraid to block them from overtaking if you deem it not safe as most like you to save them fron the decision of whether or not they skim past you too close.

With regards to a bike, look for a second hand quality Hybrid, loads buy them and then for one reason or another dont ride them, dont ffs buy anything from the cheaper end of Halfords as it will put you off forever, no suspension, front or rear unless you plan going off road and by that I mean properly off road as bridle paths and farms tracks are fine if careful on pretty much anything, even a full carbon roadie.

Dont underestimate the gear you need, decent (multiple) lights, decent clothing etc, I bought mine slowly, Aldi, Decathlon etc are useful places for cheap serviceable bike gear.

Hi Viz, try and always wear a hi viz something or other, I have all back bib shorts and jersey, it does make a difference.

Rear view mirror, I am not as dependant as I was on it but a very useful item if you are used to a car, I really missed mine when I started, getting one for me was the difference between stopping commuting and carrying on, no substitute for a look over the shoulder but gives a good indication of what is coming.

Dont worry abotu rain, we are waterproof

Wear Lycra, its great, its comfy and you dont spend all your time hitching it up.

Get Panniers, ideal for carrying vast quantities of beer, gets the weigth low down and you still have space for a rucksack if really laden.

Use Google maps/earth type things to plan your route, its amazing what you spot and how you can plan routes that are useless to cars.

14 miles is quite a long way, but just do it, dont put it off

OP
OP
jnb

jnb

Veteran
OK so now how do I persuade the Mrs it's a good idea, £300 for a bike, £100 - £200 for accessories (panniers, mudguards, helmet (not convinced but it'll keep her happy), lights, etc.) - suddenly "I'll cycle to the office" isn't such a cheap option.

wafflycat

Well, I'm a Mrs... and I think your budget is entirely reasonable. Indeed it's positively frugal. Tell your Mrs that this Mrs has a steed that would cost a couple of grand to buy... And my son has a rear wheel that would cost over a grand and a set of wheels that would cost about £1500 to buy.Gives a sense of perspective on your very reasonable budget :biggrin:

Let's see.. a decent pair of shoes can cost £100 easily these days.. A leather handbag? That's another £100 easily spent. Hair done at hairdresser's place... very easy to blow over £100..

The cost of cycling - better than gym membership & fees.

Your budget - easily spent in a meal for two & decent wine in a good restaurant these days.

And you could blow it all down at the pub of course..

All the time you're on the bike you are saving money on petrol/diesel and getting fit with a good cardiovascular workout, increasing your life expectancy, so you can be fit in old age to enjoy retirement with the Mrs in years to come...

Will that help a bit? :biggrin:

AA cost of motoring per mile (from here) shows that it's 18.25 p per mile you drive at best (ignoring standing costs).

if you do the full 14 miles each way, that's 28 miles per day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year - 6720 miles.

Total cost of that driving - £1226.40. in one year.

tordis

I use two different routes to commute to work - one is around 10 miles long and it involves crossing the Thames on a ferry; the other one is 12 miles long. In both cases, it's roughly an hour's ride. At first I thought it's just that bit too long, but then I realized that it takes me 45 minutes or more on public transport anyway, and I decided to give it a try. It was the best idea I've had in years :laugh:
I don't drive, so a car is not an option, but my monthly travelcard is about £140. So yes, by cycling, I'm saving money. It's not the most important factor, though. It's the joy of riding that matters most, the freedom of going where I want when I want, without having to wait, queue, push, fight for seats, feel someone's breath on my neck, smell someone's fish & chips takeaway and listen to other people's mobile phone conversations.

thomas

the tank engine
jnb said:
On second thoughts I might not bother. I've just been reading a few of the threads on this site and it seems that every second post is about inconsiderate or even deliberately violent and threatening behaviour from other road users.

I do 13.5 miles, takes about 45min but then I've been doing it a bit longer. I'd recommend taking your clothes in a rucksack and wearing either, lycras and some kind of cycling top or, if that'd too serious, some light shorts.

I go quite busy roads and do have issues (heck, I usually complain about them on here). But it'd be for about 30 seconds of my ride in, and something serious doesn't happen everytime! Today, I had some really nice lorry passes (and I'm forever* fussing about them nearly killing me)

Passed a chap this morning who was just commuting in jeans and a shirt, said morning which he said back and something muffled. He caught me up at the lights and said it again "slowly but surely". Good motto I think, just do it at the speed you can and it'll be fine.

*well, i've fussed once or twice.0

tordis

"thomas" said:
I'd recommend taking your clothes in a rucksack and wearing either, lycras and some kind of cycling top or, if that'd too serious, some light shorts.
Thanks for the advice, I don't think I'll go as far as wearing lycra, but I tend to wear clothes that are easy to move in (a T-shirt or vest and a pair of leggings). I wear a uniform at work and I keep it in my locker - that's quite handy, as I don't have to carry a lot with me.
"thomas said:
Passed a chap this morning who was just commuting in jeans and a shirt, said morning which he said back and something muffled. He caught me up at the lights and said it again "slowly but surely". Good motto I think, just do it at the speed you can and it'll be fine.
Good motto indeed :laugh: Plus, the bike that I currently have is more suitable for off-road riding and it's quite slow on the roads. I'm just in the process of looking for a perfect bike to make my commute even easier and more pleasant. Still, I'm not planning to push myself too hard, unless I feel like it. And there are days when I do :tongue:

SimonC

J4CKO said:
My commute has the occasional pillock, no actual agression in a year, in fact I must commend most drivers on their sensible and considerate approach, there will always be cocks and you will have learnt how to spot them in a car and cycling will hone this instinct, always assume that the car driver is going to make a bad decision or hasnt seen you, be very deliberat, almost exagerate your movements, dont dither and dont be afraid to block them from overtaking if you deem it not safe as most like you to save them fron the decision of whether or not they skim past you too close.

With regards to a bike, look for a second hand quality Hybrid, loads buy them and then for one reason or another dont ride them, dont ffs buy anything from the cheaper end of Halfords as it will put you off forever, no suspension, front or rear unless you plan going off road and by that I mean properly off road as bridle paths and farms tracks are fine if careful on pretty much anything, even a full carbon roadie.

Dont underestimate the gear you need, decent (multiple) lights, decent clothing etc, I bought mine slowly, Aldi, Decathlon etc are useful places for cheap serviceable bike gear.

Hi Viz, try and always wear a hi viz something or other, I have all back bib shorts and jersey, it does make a difference.

Rear view mirror, I am not as dependant as I was on it but a very useful item if you are used to a car, I really missed mine when I started, getting one for me was the difference between stopping commuting and carrying on, no substitute for a look over the shoulder but gives a good indication of what is coming.

Dont worry abotu rain, we are waterproof

Wear Lycra, its great, its comfy and you dont spend all your time hitching it up.

Get Panniers, ideal for carrying vast quantities of beer, gets the weigth low down and you still have space for a rucksack if really laden.

Use Google maps/earth type things to plan your route, its amazing what you spot and how you can plan routes that are useless to cars.

14 miles is quite a long way, but just do it, dont put it off

Deffo no suspension, even for a lot of off roading - dont see many cyclo-cross bikes with suspension;)

+1 on the lights as well, how many people do you see (or not see!) with a poxy little red light on the back with shagged out batteries. I got a front/rear pair of CatEye led lights, about £60, very bright, and the batteries last OK also. Better to spend money on the lights than a car up the backside or pullin out on you.

Lizban

SimonC said:
Deffo no suspension, even for a lot of off roading - dont see many cyclo-cross bikes with suspension;)

+1 on the lights as well, how many people do you see (or not see!) with a poxy little red light on the back with shagged out batteries. I got a front/rear pair of CatEye led lights, about £60, very bright, and the batteries last OK also. Better to spend money on the lights than a car up the backside or pullin out on you.

Best advice I had was buy some spare shoes for work. I have a job that means I'm all over the country and in my office about 2-3 days a week.

I found carrying my size 12 work shoes a real pain, simply brought a spare pair and now all I have to carry is shirts and spare undies so much easier.

Coco

You'll be fine with the distance. One of my colleagues a work and I started cycling into work at about Easter. I'm about 5 miles from work and he's about 12. We both started from my house for a couple of months and then he gradually parked further away until he is now cycling in from home. Is that an option for you? Can you drive part of the way and then cycle in?

WRT dangers on the road, you'll be fine there too. My normal route in is via parks and cycle paths, but this week I've been cycling in from a different part of Glasgow and go about 6 miles all on the road. I'm pretty sure you could have an argument every day if you wanted, but equally I've been surprised at how considerate other drivers are. I have been coming into work a bit later and leaving early to avoid the worst of the traffic so its mainly milfs I see on the road.

blazed

220lb+
You could go out and realistically do 200 miles you arent going to die. When im on the road its like im eating it up, i look behind me and theres nothing there just empty space. Thats because im in the zone, its all mental you can get there to. I swear some days its like im in some sort of time warp.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
blazed said:
You could go out and realistically do 200 miles you arent going to die. When im on the road its like im eating it up, i look behind me and theres nothing there just empty space. Thats because im in the zone, its all mental you can get there to. I swear some days its like im in some sort of time warp.

Hope springs eternal............

RSV_Ecosse

I bought a Pinarello FP1 around this time last year on the CycleScheme at work. Had not been on a bike for years beforehand.

My commute is a 36 mile round trip. I got the bike and a load of gear/kit and thought "Hmmm.....I'm going to have to work up to this distance, can't do it fresh off the bat".

Then one morning I got up and thought "To hell with it, might as well try it". Best thing I ever did. Managed it no problem at all and now the roadie cycling bug has bitten me big time. I can't get out enough on the thing and cycle to work most days now even through the crap weather.

As a result, I'm much, much fitter, feel better once I get to work and love the whole deal.

Try it m8, you won't look back. Trust me. :whistle:

Breedon

Legendary Member
Well my commute distance varies from week to week, I'm doing 9.11 at the moment, I'll be starting another site soon and thats a 61 mile round trip and I'm very seriously thinking about doing it.

Top Bottom