Reality TV claims another victim. RIP Caroline Flack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Caroline Flack has died.
seemingly taken her own life on Valentine’s Day.
what ever you think of her and Love Island, this is terrible

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Sad when anyone gets to the point they can't see a way forward. :sad:

Rocky

Hello decadence
Yes, very sad. I'm not a great reality TV fan. David Baddiel wrote this a month ago in the Times - it seems quite apt.

EQ1m4bEWkAIENLX.png

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yes very sad, despite her personality lifestyle, she seems to have lost her way.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had no idea who she was, but yes, it is very sad news.

Having said that, and in relation to the media being obsessed with celebrities... Was it really necessary for the BBC to devote an entire 27 minute news programme to that sad news, to a background loop of video clips and photographs of her? They kept repeating that the family would like their privacy to be respected...

And so far, the first 17 minutes of the next news broadcast too. So that is 44+ minutes with just a weather forecast interrupting this distasteful 'dead celeb fest'. I'm turning the TV off.

There are hundreds of people dying in Syria, China etc. How about some news about them now, please!

Last edited:
I had no idea who she was, but yes, it is very sad news.

Having said that, and in relation to the media being obsessed with celebrities... Was it really necessary for the BBC to devote an entire 27 minute news programme to that sad news, to a background loop of video clips and photographs of her? They kept repeating that the family would like their privacy to be respected...

And so far, the first 17 minutes of the next news broadcast too. So that is 44+ minutes with just a weather forecast interrupting this distasteful 'dead celeb fest'. I'm turning the TV off.
I don't know who Caroline Flack was but by all accounts she seems to have had a turbulent time of it, made orders of magnitude worse by the press constantly hounding her and the associated social media harassment.

The grotesque hand-wringing taking place flies both in the face of good taste and best practice - suicidiality is well known to be socially contagious and by drawing attention to high profile cases they only exacerbate this.

The Samaritans, for instance, are very clear about what not to do when a celebrity ends their own life, and you can rely on the media to do the exact opposite every single time.
https://www.samaritans.org/scotland/about-samaritans/media-guidelines/reporting-celebrity-deaths/

Top Bottom