Reality TV claims another victim. RIP Caroline Flack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I didn't know her so I'm not terribly upset learning of her death, sad story but it happens every day ,pity we only get upset when it's a TV celebrity.

All people who kill themselves are in a lonely sad place.
Sadly you can't always help them see a future beyond the now.

I didn't know her so I'm not terribly upset learning of her death, sad story but it happens every day ,pity we only get upset when it's a TV celebrity.

All people who kill themselves are in a lonely sad place.
Sadly you can't always help them see a future beyond the now.
I really didn’t know much about her, other than in passing, and what I knew from her media stuff. It’s always sad when someone dies in this fashion though.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Most domestic violence is man on woman, but apart from that, her case and the treatment of it was depressingly routine.

Cases of this nature are so common, many magistrates' courts have a weekly sitting day devoted to them - the so called 'DV court'.

Again typically, the victim withdraws support for the prosecution.

The suspicion is (usually) she has been intimidated into that course of action, or to put it bluntly, doesn't realise what's good for her.

Thus the decision is taken by the CPS to bash on regardless, which is what happened in this case.

Again typically, the charge looks fairly light.

Evidence from the police officer attending is the victim was 'covered in blood'.

The prosecutor also told the court the victim no longer supported the prosecution.

Ms Flack was charged with common assault - the least serious assault offence - when arguably she committed a wounding, or at least actual bodily harm.

The CPS is routinely criticised for under charging in DV cases.

Unless you believe Ms Flack was somehow entitled to special treatment, there can be no complaints about the way her assault case was handled legally.

Or at least, from the prosecution side.

We will never know what advice she received from her lawyers.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Like @ColinJ I've never heard of this person before. It's sad for all connected with any individual when that person dies.

I find the outpouring of faux grief on social media when a personality or celebrity dies distasteful and uncalled for. By all means acknowledge the person's contribution but there is a line which doesn't need to be crossed.

It seems as though many people live their lives through others. I find that disappointing and sad as well.

Drago

Legendary Member
Most domestic violence is man on woman, but apart from that, her case and the treatment of it was depressingly routine.

Cases of this nature are so common, many magistrates' courts have a weekly sitting day devoted to them - the so called 'DV court'.

Again typically, the victim withdraws support for the prosecution.

The suspicion is (usually) she has been intimidated into that course of action, or to put it bluntly, doesn't realise what's good for her.

Thus the decision is taken by the CPS to bash on regardless, which is what happened in this case.

Again typically, the charge looks fairly light.

Evidence from the police officer attending is the victim was 'covered in blood'.

The prosecutor also told the court the victim no longer supported the prosecution.

Ms Flack was charged with common assault - the least serious assault offence - when arguably she committed a wounding, or at least actual bodily harm.

The CPS is routinely criticised for under charging in DV cases.

Unless you believe Ms Flack was somehow entitled to special treatment, there can be no complaints about the way her assault case was handled legally.

Or at least, from the prosecution side.

We will never know what advice she received from her lawyers.
More than that, in this case. Not only did the alleged victim. refuse to support a prosecution or cooperate with the police, he denied that he had even been assaulted.

"Evidence based prosecution" has been under question for a while, and this won't do it any favours.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
More than that, in this case. Not only did the alleged victim. refuse to support a prosecution or cooperate with the police, he denied that he had even been assaulted.

"Evidence based prosecution" has been under question for a while, and this won't do it any favours.

I believe at the time the victim made what is called a significant statement - she hit me with a table lamp, or similar.

He later sought to withdraw that statement, or more accurately, claim it was made in the heat of the moment and wasn't true.

There is a widespread misbelief that victims have the choice of whether to press charges or not.

They don't, prosecutions are mounted in the public interest, not in the interests of the victim or defendant.

As a defence lawyer said on the radio, following campaigns against domestic violence it is now public policy to press ahead with prosecutions if at all possible.

A victim refusing to give evidence can be fatal to a prosecution, but not always.

In this case, the CPS clearly thought they had enough other evidence for there to be a realistic prospect of conviction, the public interest test having already been met by the nature of the offence.

Reports suggest Ms Flack was dismayed to learn last Friday that the prosecution would proceed.

If so, she had an unrealistic expectation that the victim refusing to cooperate would stop the case.

Any defence lawyer would have told her that, and should have done so without being asked.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's only a significant statement when a suspect makes it unsolicited following caution.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the tactic or otherwise - that's for greater minds than mind to determine, and let's be clear...most minds are greater than mine!

I was simply drawing attention to the fact that it is a somewhat controversial process, particularly among the self appointed civil-liberties pundits and organisations, and this particular case will get them frothing at the mouth with righteous indignation.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Apparently the Tabloids have scrambled to remove all their previous toxic stories on her.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
this particular case will get them frothing at the mouth with righteous indignation.

I think that's true, but neither would they support domestic violence being ignored.

Going back to this case, I think the copper who attended may have body worn camera footage of the victim making his heat of the moment remarks.

That would explain why the CPS appeared confident they still had a case without the victim's cooperation.

Always struggled with the concept of reality shows. In some ways it harks back to the Roman empire with plebeians flocking to amphitheatres baying for blood as gladiators fight animals or each other. It degrades the human form with scheming being the core entertainment. It brings out the worse in nearly everyone - the viewers, the participants and their families and it was designed specially to do so.

With so much negativity I won't be surprised if she too was affected by it.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Always struggled with the concept of reality shows. In some ways it harks back to the Roman empire with plebeians flocking to amphitheatres baying for blood as gladiators fight animals or each other. It degrades the human form with scheming being the core entertainment. It brings out the worse in nearly everyone - the viewers, the participants and their families and it was designed specially to do so.

With so much negativity I won't be surprised if she too was affected by it.

Agreed, although when it comes to Love Island I'm in the classic uninformed critic's position of 'I've never watched it because I know I wouldn't like it'.

If I could devote a song to her - it would be the Isley Brothers - "Behind a painted Smile"

Beyond all those clothes and film star looks was obviously quite a troubled person. What a tragic waste.

You wonder if reality TV creates a sense that you can not be less than perfect.

Top Bottom