REALLY annoying click from the cranks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...on the last day of my tour this click developed..it got progressively worse. Only when I pedal and I think it's coming from the left crank arm area. It only seems to occure when the bike is fully loaded though. ..I cleaned the bike thouroughly on my return ...but it still clicks...so what next? Couls this be a bearing/bottom bracket issue? I mean it has been lugging me and a load up some hefty hills recently

Perry

3:01AM - so, I'm not the only one who cant sleep then.

Perry

BTFB, You are a lot more experienced than me.

My suggestion is after the usual tightening of the nut and it still clicks, it's worth removing the crank to have a good look to see what is making the noise.

It just my 2 pence worth.

Mr Pig

Make sure the pedals are tight and the bearings are good. Check the chain rings are tight and not too worn and if it's not that my bet would be the bottom bracket.

dodgy

Do as User says, disassembly followed by reassembly cures 95% of known annoyances. However, it's amazing how creaks on a bike can be hard to pin down. It's quite common for what was initially diagnosed as a bottom bracket issue to actually be a problem with the seat/seat tube interface. Again, reassemble usually fixes it.

Go over your bike with a set of allen keys and loosen and retighten all bolts, if that doesn't fix it, follow Mr Paul's advice.

Dave.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Ta..I will try to get the cranks off but I dont have a 'crank pulling ' tool....as shown in the bicycle tutor video

dodgy

Another advantage of splined cranks, all you need is an allen key :smile:

Dave.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

no it's only when peddleing and only when loaded up...unloaded its ok. the noise is definatly from the crank/ BB area

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Noise travels, so you need to undo the lot, re-grease and re-assemble - including chain rings, pedals, cranks and BB. Takes an hour or so max with the right tools, and you'll not get any more trouble, unless something breaks.

Any play in the BB that is noticeable ?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I took all the screws etc (I am competent to) on the bike apart and lubed them and replaced them. The click has gone, however i can still feel something odd when I push down on my left foot. I havent got a tool to remove the cranks so I havent touched the cranks or the BB...just given everything a GOOD clean up externally.

How would I remove the cranks then...is there a special toool I need ? I have a shimano deore crankset.

Top Bottom