Really, are you so helpless.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had the opposite problem at my last job. Our office water dispenser ran out so I replaced the empty water container with a full one. I was told off because I had not had suitable training to do it! (Peel off a label, lift a 19 kg water bottle, turn it over, and lower it onto the water dispenser.)

classic33

Leg End Member
Some people have funny thumbs which don't bend backwards at all, so they end up trying to push a drawing pin in with the end of it rather than the "ball". Combine that with the arm strength of a 2 year old, and no sense of symmetry or level, and.........well, let's just say that I don't mind doing the job because it will at least be done only once, and done properly.
Try bending either of my thumbs backwards, I risk snapping then!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
......that you need the services of the works maintenance team (i.e. ME!) to put up a length of string with 2 drawing pins to display Christmas cards? I am but one person, and a part time employee with more than enough to do as it is. I am sorry if you didn't like my response to your request; but come on - it's not really difficult. What next if I take that on board? Come and flush the toilet for you? :rolleyes:
We use sticky tape to hold the ends of the string. Bang on cue, the whole shebang falls off the wall on about 30th December. It's a local tradition. :okay:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Not "Twelfth Night"?
The tradition is that it gives up the ghost annoyingly early.

ColinJ

Pushing in drawing pins can be more difficult and dangerous than you think ... I was round at a friend's house when we were in our teens and he tried pinning up a Who poster in his bedroom. The plaster must have been very hard because he was struggling to get a drawing pin in and pushed harder and harder until suddenly he screamed in pain - the pin had pushed itself through the circular bit and embedded itself in his thumb! :eek: xx(

His dad came running in to see what the fuss was all about, took one look and went out to the garage to get a pair of pliers. Unfortunately, the pin was stuck fast in the bone of the thumb so in the end we all went off to A&E at the local hospital (or Casualty as it was called then). Cue more screaming, plus tears!

Ever since that episode, I push drawing pins in with something between my thumb and the pin - a piece of wood/a book/whatever ...

Stephenite

Membå
Pushing in drawing pins can be more difficult and dangerous than you think ... I was round at a friend's house when we were in our teens and he tried pinning up a Who poster in his bedroom. The plaster must have been very hard because he was struggling to get a drawing pin in and pushed harder and harder until suddenly he screamed in pain - the pin had pushed itself through the circular bit and embedded itself in his thumb! :eek: xx(

His dad came running in to see what the fuss was all about, took one look and went out to the garage to get a pair of pliers. Unfortunately, the pin was stuck fast in the bone of the thumb so in the end we all went off to A&E at the local hospital (or Casualty as it was called then). Cue more screaming, plus tears!

Ever since that episode, I push drawing pins in with something between my thumb and the pin - a piece of wood/a book/whatever ...

I've had that happen to me. Without the stuck in the bone bit. I often press drawing pins in with two thumbs now, either side of the pin bit.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Pushing in drawing pins can be more difficult and dangerous than you think ...
That story must have been from the days when drawing pins were made in Sheffield, from steel. The Chinese imitations which are universally sold now tend to bend and break long before the stage of puncturing human skin. Which of course means that they are all but useless for trying to push into anything more solid than the flimsiest of plasterboard walls.

ColinJ

That story must have been from the days when drawing pins were made in Sheffield, from steel. The Chinese imitations which are universally sold now tend to bend and break long before the stage of puncturing human skin. Which of course means that they are all but useless for trying to push into anything more solid than the flimsiest of plasterboard walls.
Yes, it would have been about 1970!

Tin Pot

Guru
C level exec told me to put up the Christmas decorations yesterday.:santa:

Apparently they set off the motion detectors at night.

He also ordered me to have champagne, so he got his tinsel :okay:

Top Bottom