Really bad back pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bendy armes

It might be the way I am sitting, but on every ride I go on I develop excrutiating back pains(lower back). Any one know of any ways to prevent this or is it something i have to grit my teeth and bare??

montage

God Almighty
Welcome to the forums, how long have you been cycling? When i first started I was in the same position, but a few excersizes and long rides fixed that :biggrin:

Oh and somebody more qualified that I am can discuss possible setup issues with you

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi bendyarmes and welcome.
Tell us more, what are you riding, how long do you ride for, do you push a high gear or spin a low one etc. etc. Back pain can be caused by many things, lack of conditioning, set-up, lack of core strength, lack of stretching post ride etc. We need more info!

This might help on bike set-up...

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Give us some information..... how long, how new to cycling, new bike etc.

As a seasoned cyclist of over 23 years, road bikes mainly....getting back to upping miles a few years back really killed my back for some time.....it's down to core strength.... - I was riding the bikes that were fit for me, then I had a gap of very regular riding, then got back into it - blooming killed for a while.....

The issue here is I knew my bikes were right for me, I was out of condition....

Let's have some history from you and we can see your issues and advise... it's not a quick answer...

Starting with the basics, is your saddle the right height? When I first got back into cycling, mine was about 3 inches too low, got really bad lower back pain - bike shop said apparently if your leg muscles can't work efficiently, you compensate with the ones in your lower back.

Next time it happened, it was due to the reach being too long, shorter stem sorted it out to an extent, but the bike in the end got sold due to being the wrong size..

Sorry, if all this is stating the obvious and your bike is set up fine anyway...

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Go and get it checked out. I ignored this kind of thing for ages, now I have three herniated discs in my lower back, was hospitalized for two weeks, and am still a long way from recovery even three months later.....

see a doctor!!!!!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm with Zimmers on this - you can't take chances with a back. You difficulty will be in finding a doctor who has any interest in back pain.

Having said that...if your back only hurts when you ride a bike, go out with your local CTC group and ask their advice. They've got millennia of experience (and that's just the younger members).

zimzum42

Legendary Member
and you don't want to know how much this is costing me....

company insurance covered the hospital and flights, but then there's a new mattress, constant physiotherapy, MRI scans, it goes on and on....

Top Bottom