Really confused about locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sapphire Stone

So I've read about a million threads and reviews about locks on various forums and websites and I'm now even more confused than I was before.

I get the point that you should have more than one lock and have different types but I don't know which ones to choose.

I plan on cycling to work in a few months when my office re locates, I'm not 100% sure of the bike parking situation there yet, if I can take it in the office then all is well and good but if not I will need to invest in some locks.

Please bear in mind that I'm riding a cheap £80 mountain bike, that said I don't want to loose it but really don't fancy paying a fortune for locks.

Currently I have an old squire cable lock which I found at home, only has one key but as I'm only practising riding at the moment I'm not worried because I don't go anywhere and stop. I just go for a ride around the river and back home IYSWIM

Can anybody point me in the direction of good but reasonably priced (considering the value of my bike) locks?

Thanks

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Some say you should spend 10% of the value on your bike on locks. But even £100 worth of locks is average. The value of your bike is irrelevant IMO, either you don't mind replacing the bike or you do mind about replacing it.

You are right that you need two locks. I would suggest a d-lock and a chain lock. Look to spend £100 for an average pair of locks.

Note that everylock can be broken, it just depends on how long it takes and what tools are needed.

I would stay away from cable locks, they are mostly air and can be broken easily.

tyred

Legendary Member
If you want a chain lock, pop along to your local hardware shop, buy about 12 - 18" of a decent, strong chain and a decent quality padlock. Put the chain inside part of an old inner tube to protect the paint work of the bike.

calibanzwei

If you want a chain lock, pop along to your local hardware shop, buy about 12 - 18" of a decent, strong chain and a decent quality padlock. Put the chain inside part of an old inner tube to protect the paint work of the bike.

Tip of the day right there! :thumbsup:

the snail

Guru
Halfords do a d-lock + cable which is pretty good value, and probably good enough deterrent for your bike. Even the most expensive locks won't stop a determined thief - try searching youtube for 'sold secure' - but most thieves are opportunists, so if you have your bike d-locked to something solid and both wheels locked they will probably look for an easier target.

OP
OP
S

Sapphire Stone

Thanks for the advice guys.

What I forgot to mention in my original post was I also have a quick release seat post and front wheel. I'm ok on knowing how to secure the front wheel but what about the seat? Taking it off and trying to get it back at the right height doesn't sound appealing to me.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

What I forgot to mention in my original post was I also have a quick release seat post and front wheel. I'm ok on knowing how to secure the front wheel but what about the seat? Taking it off and trying to get it back at the right height doesn't sound appealing to me.
Put a reflector bracket as low as it can. Then when you put it back in, it is the right height.

Replace it with a regular pin or security skewer and don't bother to remove it.

Evil Rabbit

Useful video on locking your bike: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oPDHPpnXPv8

Think less about the value of your bike and more about what the risks are - where it is being left etc. Sadly, scumbags will nick anything and replacing your bike is always a hassle.

IMO, all cable locks are useless - they can be cropped in seconds. D-locks make, pound for pound, far better portable locks. And they don't have to be expensive.

You can get a Magnum Blok D-lock for £20, which is 16mm in thickness (the minimum thickness for D-locks and chains that can't be cut by hand - needs power tools).
It is however a heavy lock at 3kg (!), so you need to weigh up (excuse the pun) the risk with portability. It is also important how you use your D-lock, packing out as much as the inner space as you can so they can not put a mini jack inside it.

Mad at urage

And you only need one Dlock - front wheel off, next to frame. Dlock thro' bike stand, front wheel, frame and back wheel. Security of what you are locking it to is more of a worry than whether to get a second Dlock (let alone the joke that are cables).

Top Bottom