Cycling shoe hack (probably really stupid)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mralexrides

I'm new to cycling and bought some cycling shoes the road ones. I regretted it after seeing SPd ones and fact they are more like shoes. So I was thinking could I just Frankenstein some old shoe soles and glue them onto my cycling shoes? Pretty much like SPD shoes? What do you think? Bought all the gear on chain reaction and they have the idiotic 5 minutes rule of cancellation.

raggydoll

Über Member
Get them returned!
Legally you have 14 days to return goods bought online even if you just change your mind. (as long as they are not made to measure etc)

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...ou automatically get a 14,you to get a refund.

You automatically get a 14-day ‘cooling-off period’ when you buy something you haven’t seen in person - unless it’s bespoke or made to measure.

The cooling-off period starts the day after you receive your order, and there doesn’t need to be anything wrong with the item for you to get a refund.

I wouldn't think gluing cleats to old shoes would be very safe or secure.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm new to cycling and bought some cycling shoes the road ones. I regretted it after seeing SPd ones and fact they are more like shoes. So I was thinking could I just Frankenstein some old shoe soles and glue them onto my cycling shoes? Pretty much like SPD shoes? What do you think? Bought all the gear on chain reaction and they have the idiotic 5 minutes rule of cancellation.
I heard of more stupid things...but not many.:laugh:

as above send them back and then work out what you actually want to buy - pedals, cleats and shoes

raggydoll

Über Member
At first I thought it was about gluing cleats onto normal shoes.
But I think it may be about gluing normal shoe soles onto road shoes.
Either way, best to send back and research the type of shoes you would prefer.

Reactions: C R

vickster

Legendary Member
You realise SPD shoes are designed to take cleats which clip into specific pedals?
If you just want normal shoes with a stiffer sole to use on normal flat pedals, look at trail running or walking shoes... or if bike specific something like a 5-ten mountain bike shoe that has a stiff sole but doesn't take cleats. But you don't need special shoes for cycling on normal flat pedals.
Road shoes are so not what you want if this is the case :okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Just ride on flat pedals in normal shoes. It's what people who can't be arsed faffing around with various cycling shoes and cleat systems do!

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Get them returned!
Legally you have 14 days to return goods bought online even if you just change your mind. (as long as they are not made to measure etc)

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/changed-your-mind/changing-your-mind-about-something-youve-bought/#:~:text=You automatically get a 14,you to get a refund.

You automatically get a 14-day ‘cooling-off period’ when you buy something you haven’t seen in person - unless it’s bespoke or made to measure.

The cooling-off period starts the day after you receive your order, and there doesn’t need to be anything wrong with the item for you to get a refund.

I wouldn't think gluing cleats to old shoes would be very safe or secure.

Yeah might send back but costs a fortune to send stuff back from Guernsey. I didnt mean glue cleats to old shoes I mean remove the soles of the old shoe to the cycling boot to sort of make a SDP shoe I can walk around normally in.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

You realise SPD shoes are designed to take cleats which clip into specific pedals?
If you just want normal shoes with a stiffer sole to use on normal flat pedals, look at trail running or walking shoes... or if bike specific something like a 5-ten mountain bike shoe that has a stiff sole but doesn't take cleats. But you don't need special shoes for cycling on normal flat pedals.
Road shoes are so not what you want if this is the case :okay:
No I want the added power from the upstrokes that being clipped in gives you just wanted the convenience of walking around. I bought a took kit so could swap pedals round if I want flats on again. Or is there a danger to regularly swapping your pedals?

Top Bottom