Cycling shoe hack (probably really stupid)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Just ride on flat pedals in normal shoes. It's what people who can't be arsed faffing around with various cycling shoes and cleat systems do!

weird everyone who replied has not understood what I said. I want to use a cleat system just wanted extra sole on the road cycle shoe that would overlap the cleat system. This wouldnt interfere with the clipping in process just make the shoes less aero.

BurningLegs

Veteran
As above, just send them back. It's free via Asda
Came here to say this. It’s one of the best things about buying from Wiggle/CRC, long return window and free to get it sent back to them from a drop off location.

vickster

Legendary Member
Came here to say this. It’s one of the best things about buying from Wiggle/CRC, long return window and free to get it sent back to them from a drop off location.
Yep I've just sent some Assos shorts back to Wiggle that I bought last July just before an accident that pretty much kept me off the bike for about 9 months! (and it's been way too cold for shorts until now). I have found some that fit better from another brand/retailer (and a couple of quid cheaper even with postage fees!)

vickster

Legendary Member
No I want the added power from the upstrokes that being clipped in gives you just wanted the convenience of walking around. I bought a took kit so could swap pedals round if I want flats on again. Or is there a danger to regularly swapping your pedals?
Makes virtually no difference in reality, just marketing (the main benefit of clipping in is that your feet don't slip on the pedal if wet or rough terrain).
No issue with swapping pedals, but you can get SPD pedals that are flat on one side and clip on the other ( I didn't like them personally when I was able to clip in as the bloody pedal was always the wrong way round regardless of which shoes were worn :wacko:)

Send back the road shoes and get some MTB two bolt ones instead. If Wiggle charge for returns, find a retailer that doesn't (or buy from a physical bike shop). Why compromise for a couple of quid postage?

Reactions: C R

Seevio

Guru
OP, if you find your road shoes essentially unusable and are unwilling or unable to return them, go for it with your original idea. Worst case scenario (realistically) is that you are in the same situation as now. Just make sure you can still unclip with bits of old shoe stuck to the soles of the new ones. Ideally before you set out.

Of course the sensible solution would be to get some mountain bike shoes and associated 2 sided or hybrid pedals.

raggydoll

Über Member
That's a shame there's no asda near you. Is there one in driving or cycling distance?

I think you would soon get sick of regularly swapping the pedals.
You could take a pair of trainers with you and put them on when you go walkabout but I'm sure that would get annoying too.

Last edited:
weird everyone who replied has not understood what I said. I want to use a cleat system just wanted extra sole on the road cycle shoe that would overlap the cleat system. This wouldnt interfere with the clipping in process just make the shoes less aero.
I think we need to see your shoes.

Road cycling shoes are often flat carbon or plastic. You have to walk on your cleat as it sticks out. No way round that.

You could fit tread to the shoe on the heel and waddle round like a penguin but the solution is out there already.

MTB type pedals, cleats, shoes. Much less slippy.

DRM

Guru
What you’re suggesting won’t work, to clip in on road SPD/SL the pedals hang down and you slide your foot along the pedal, the front of the plastic cleat goes in the loop part of the pedal and then when it’s fully engaged you push down so that the rear of the cleat clips in, putting a sole on the shoe with a hole in won’t allow you to clip in, best bet is suck up the cost and return them, and get some mtb 2 bolt shoes pedals and cleats, I’m certain there are versions that are flat with a clip in system giving the best of both worlds, as taking pedals on & off into an aluminium crank arm will soon damage the thread, aluminium isn’t the most resilient of materials for such things

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

What you’re suggesting won’t work, to clip in on road SPD/SL the pedals hang down and you slide your foot along the pedal, the front of the plastic cleat goes in the loop part of the pedal and then when it’s fully engaged you push down so that the rear of the cleat clips in, putting a sole on the shoe with a hole in won’t allow you to clip in, best bet is suck up the cost and return them, and get some mtb 2 bolt shoes pedals and cleats, I’m certain there are versions that are flat with a clip in system giving the best of both worlds, as taking pedals on & off into an aluminium crank arm will soon damage the thread, aluminium isn’t the most resilient of materials for such things

You're right i will eat the cost and get some mountain bike SPD ones and the shoes as I can just wear them to the gym or go in the shops with them. So mad at the wiggle 5 minute cancellation policy. Lesson learned I guess. Anyone know any other good online retailers apart from Wiggle/CRC?

Screenshot_20210610-212522.jpg

raggydoll

Über Member
You're right i will eat the cost and get some mountain bike SPD ones and the shoes as I can just wear them to the gym or go in the shops with them. So mad at the wiggle 5 minute cancellation policy. Lesson learned I guess. Anyone know any other good online retailers apart from Wiggle/CRC?

If it was me I would drive/cycle or get the bus or train to my nearest asda and return for free and get a full refund then you can look into getting something else that would be easier to return if not suitable.

For the price of a bus fare or petrol etc you could get a full refund.

raggydoll

Über Member
Just looking at the screenshots from cougie uk.
Does that say that products that have been opened or unsealed are exempt?

Surely not?

Top Bottom