REALLY Confused - Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Last week I cycled a little over 100 miles and lost 4 lbs, This week I have already done 120 miles and I will finish on arounf 135 miles for the week, however the scales have not moved a single pound, now I have eaten the same this week as last week, gotten the same amouint of sleep etc and its not like I dont have the weight to lose ( I have another 5 stone to go at least if I base it on Gov guidelines) so why then in a week when I have cycled, further, faster and harder while eating the same have the scales not moved at all ?

Confused doesnt come close.

Gaz

rsvdaz

muscle gain?

ACS

Legendary Member
Muscle gain. Use visual indicators such waist size, face shape, stomach shape and size. I lost a stone quite quickly but have remained around 14 stone for ages. According to the Gov I am +2 stones but I know I have lost fat and increased muscle mass.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Humm good point you 2, I have more definition on my legs than I did last week and other areas are more firm too, hummm, Thanks ;)

toroddf

Congrats, gb155 !! Your weight loss is very impressive. I have myself lost ten stones on a combo of golf, cycling and eating right. But I have also gained a lot of muscles in my legs so the others here are absolute right. I am also a 20 stoner and I am doing 100 milers too.

Have fun and all the best wishes from another one in the same situation.

ACS

Legendary Member
Quote from your blog

"Cycling further and faster every day, feeling stronger and stronger and not once finding the going tough"

The scales do not tell 1/10th of the story.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
toroddf said:
Congrats, gb155 !! Your weight loss is very impressive. I have myself lost ten stones on a combo of golf, cycling and eating right. But I have also gained a lot of muscles in my legs so the others here are absolute right. I am also a 20 stoner and I am doing 100 milers too.

Have fun and all the best wishes from another one in the same situation.

Thanks and well done you, losing 10 stone is no mean feat lets be honest.

Well done and keep it going, this last 2 weeks have been the bike times I have had on the bike since I started because its just fun fun fun ;)

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
satans budgie said:
Quote from your blog

"Cycling further and faster every day, feeling stronger and stronger and not once finding the going tough"

The scales do not tell 1/10th of of the story.

You know what mate, I had actually forgot about that comment ;)

Its so true though, today after 4 miles my legs were a little sore, so I knew I wasnt in it for a 20 mile ride, composed myself and finished on 15 miles with a sprint finish, smiling all the way.

We live and die by the scales but as you say, in the grand scheme of things its actually just a small % of what is going on.

ACS

Legendary Member
I check the scales once a week, check my resting pulse once a week but note which hole I use to fasten my belt every time I pull my trousers up.;)

I pay more attention to how I feel within myself, physical and mental well being more important than my physical mass. We all cycle for different reasons all of them positive and long may it continue.

From your blog you are on track to reach your individual goal perhaps looking at the 'big picture' may the next natural step forward?

montage

God Almighty
Muscle gains is hard when losing weight. To gain muscle you must eat a surplus of calories, to lose fat you must have a calorie defecit. You CAN balance your diet perfectly, but this is a science in it's own right, and extremely unlikely any normal being has this correct. You may lose fat and gain muscle when you first begin exercise (known as noob gains) or be gaining it very slowly.

My guess is fluid levels which can depend on a whoooole range of factors.

Keep up the good work gb, you are a great inspiration :smile:

Fiona N

Veteran
I think Hont's onto the right track here - 4lbs in a week is a rate of muscle development that race horses would be proud of, never mind puny humans.

But besides dehydration causing weight loss, remember that what you eat can influence how much water your body retains - a single high-salt meal like a chinese takeaway could easily cause a kg or more of water retention until your body can get rid of the excess salt. If you're looking after what you eat and sticking to a low salt diet normally, then high salt foods have a greater effect than in someone who normally has a high salt diet.

potsy

Rambler
I love the feeling of putting on your trousers and realising they are getting loose again:biggrin: just doing what you're doing will have great results over the next few weeks,I have to force myself not to weigh myself everyday as I know it's the quickest way to de-moralize myself.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Looking back at my weight loss charts it seem I have a big week of losing (4-6lbs) then the following week always seems to be 1 or 2 lbs at max, is this normal ?

Thanks again all

Chrisc

Guru
Mine goes like that. Bursts of five pounds or so then a month of stability.
Been stuck for a while tho now so thinking maybe I've reached a balance between my exercise and food intake that means I'm staying here unless I make an alteration in input/ output again.
As has been said before the best measure is the belt notches that are going in the right direction, only one inch to go back to my waist size of twenty years back!

Top Bottom