Really lost my nerve today........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Hammering down the steep section of the A249 at 34mph (steep downhill obviously) a couple of strong gusts of wind nearly blew me in front of the traffic, really scared me and I had to slow down.

After that, I join the roundabout which is the entry/exit to the M20 so its a big, fast roundabout but it doesn't normally bother me. This morning though, I wobbled round it feeling very anxious and vulnerable :biggrin:

Luckily, on the way home it was sunny and dry and I put in my best ever time :smile: I just hope the nerves don't strike again next time I ride in the dark in the morning............

Johnny Thin

Sounds similar to me - having come off twice on roundabouts/turnings this winter, I've been getting more and more paranoid as you never know if the roads, which are always wet, are greasy and slippery as well.

But tonight was fantastic - DRY roads for the first time in weeks, plus no wind. I was going flat out at 35mph+ on even shallow hills and enjoying every second of it.

Tynan

Veteran
35 uphill would be something

I touch 30+ on a couple of hills and I'm slowly accepting that flat out isn't always appropriate, it's speeding really isn't it, lets face it, going too fast for the road conditions

gazzaputt

Panter I had the same thing yesterday on the A20. Got to an open part going towards the Dutch House and a gust blew me out and it scared the shoot out of me especially as i was travelling at about 28mph.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
yenrod said:
PANTER: what are you now = cyclist or twat of a cardriver :ohmy:

As you pointed out the other day :angry:

Hmm, I don't recall confessing to being a twat of a car driver ? :angry:

Sorry for any irritation caused, pretty much all of my commute is either dual carrigeway or fast A roads so I generally ride as hard as I can. There's one slow bit in a 30 zone where I pass a School but in the morning I pass it at about 6:45 am and I'm going uphill, on the way back I tend to pass at 3:00ish and so keep my speed right down.
The rest of the time I'm "balls out" so to speak xx(

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Tynan said:
35 uphill would be something

I touch 30+ on a couple of hills and I'm slowly accepting that flat out isn't always appropriate, it's speeding really isn't it, lets face it, going too fast for the road conditions

Good point, I hadn't thought of it like that. As a new cyclist I must admit its the first time I'd ever encountered a fierce gusting wind at speed on a roadbike.

Duly noted for next time xx(

doyler78

I always work what direction the winds coming from and if it is coming into the side of me which would blow me into the traffic I generally take it a little easier so that I have a little more control if I am blown sideways however if it is coming from the opposite side then I just go for it. If I end up in the ditch well lets just say it wouldn't be the first time - its usually because I have taken a corner too fast. Once ended up in someone's garden. Went over their wall. That was embarrassing. Amazingly the bike was ok.

Top Bottom