Really Steep Hills - What's the point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bill Gates said:
Straining to get up a steep hill @ less than 40 rpm is not for me.
That's why low gears were invented! ;)

I'm currently overweight and use a 30/28 bottom gear. When I was somewhat fitter I used 30/26 and when I was reasonably fit I had a 30/23 in reserve but rarely used it.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

ColinJ said:
That's why low gears were invented! ;)

I'm currently overweight and use a 30/28 bottom gear. When I was somewhat fitter I used 30/26 and when I was reasonably fit I had a 30/23 in reserve but rarely used it.

Hmmmm.

See your point. The bottom gear on my Road bike for racing hilly time trials was 42/17

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

ttcycle said:
+1

It's also about training your body to work harder and do it more efficiently..plus, it also trains up the lactate threshold ie the zone where you feel as if your legs are aching like mad and you're sucking in the air like there's no tommorow - so you can push harder and be more efficient before you get to your lactate threshold- this is essential for races etc. You can only train that system by pushing yourself hard enough and that for me is going up and down some hills...still not seeing too much improvement myself...lol

LT is I think supposedly 25 mile TT race pace. It should be quite possible to do this in training on flat roads. You are also replicating TT position and technique whereas on a steep climb the technique for me involves out of the saddle efforts pulling on the bars

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And to answer your original question...

To avoid steep climbs round here, I'd have to stick to the same busy valley A-roads all the time. I prefer the scenery and quieter roads on the hilltops and I don't let steep hills stop me getting up to them. In fact, I actually search out steep hills because I enjoy the challenge of riding up them.

Depending on my fitness level/weight I choose a gear low enough to let me use a reasonable cadence (usually > 50 rpm unless the hill is really steep).

I admit that I'd like to spend more time riding on flatter roads, but there aren't too many quiet ones round here. I'd have to do at least a 60 mile round trip just to get to them.

jimboalee

I remember watching the Wincanton go up Holme Moss; the Milk race and the Kellogs go up Porlock; the PruTour go up Constitution Hill; the Rochester Classic go up Boxley.

The riders were out of the saddle pulling and pushing ( except for Constitution Hill where some got off and ran ) to keep in contention.

I cannot imagine for one moment they trained for that anywhere but on steep hills.

Matty

jimboalee said:
I remember watching the Wincanton go up Holme Moss; the Milk race and the Kellogs go up Porlock; the PruTour go up Constitution Hill; the Rochester Classic go up Boxley.

The riders were out of the saddle pulling and pushing ( except for Constitution Hill where some got off and ran ) to keep in contention.

I cannot imagine for one moment they trained for that anywhere but on steep hills.

I recall trying quite hard to get a car up this crazy hill. Especially the daft turn.

jimboalee

Matty said:
I recall trying quite hard to get a car up this crazy hill. Especially the daft turn.

A bike hire shop in Barnstaple rented me a bike for the very purpose.

I chose a 'tourer', which I have detected on the net was a Trek 520. ( back in 1992 ).
I chose it due to it's 28 ring and 28 sprocket.

PC_Arcade

I can't imagine cycling up constitution hill, the road surface is terrible for one and those cobbles are DAMN slippery in the wet / winter!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Bill Gates said:
LT is I think supposedly 25 mile TT race pace. It should be quite possible to do this in training on flat roads. You are also replicating TT position and technique whereas on a steep climb the technique for me involves out of the saddle efforts pulling on the bars

Hi Bill

this may be a possibility if you have access to quiet roads without too many traffic lights but this is not the case where I live and I don't ride hills the same way you would - I tend to stay seated in the saddle.

Sounds like you were a pretty strong cyclist in the racing days..envious of your hill climbing ability.

For me and main reason I do it is to improve technique to become a better all rounder

Top Bottom