Really stupid question about panniers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Guru
Brains said:
I find the difference between what is taken on a 3 day tour and a 3 month tour is very little.

You might get away with only one camera memory card and not bother with the phone charger, and maybe not take all the documents but that is about it

+1 If camping you need pretty much the same whether for one night or a year!

snorri

Legendary Member
Brains said:
I find the difference between what is taken on a 3 day tour and a 3 month tour is very little.
True, but I like more clothing options for the longer trips.:biggrin:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Bungee tent and kip mat on top of the rack at right angles to the frame of the bike. Where the sleeping bag goes depends on its bulk: if bulky I find it's best kept on top with the tent and mat.

willem

Über Member
I do not use front panniers, but I do use a handlebar bag for my purse, passport, phone, an emergency blanket, sunglasses etc. I have my sleeping bag and exped down mattress in Ortlieb backroller panniers, just like everything else apart from the tent. The tent goes on top of the rack, but not inside a waterproof etc bag. It is likely to be wet (and dirty) in the morning so I do not want it inside my panniers, and for the same reason it does not need a bag. I like mattresses like the Exped downmat and synmat or the Thermarest Neoair because they can be folded very small and therefore can go inside the panniers.
Willem

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I use "croc's" when I go camping ... and they are my nipping out into the garden shoe - mine are Tesco's £3 pink ones rather than the authentic ones. I don't find them comfortable for a long period of time but when I'm camping (not done it by bike yet), then they are perfect for damp grass. I'd imagine they could be a bit bulky in a pannier even though they are light - and I wouldn't want them as my primary pair of shoes.

andym

Über Member
MacB said:
Though very much orientated to touring as light as possible, this link makes an interesting read:-

http://www2.arnes.si/~ikovse/weight.htm

Yes but take the benchmark weights with a something of a pinch of salt. There's some good advice there, but look at the packing list I certainly raised an eyebrow: 25g of soap? 20g of toothpaste? 20g of sun cream? Fine for a few days perhaps... 48g for a cable lock?

Also he doesn't carry any cooking equipment.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
andym said:
Yes but take the benchmark weights with a something of a pinch of salt. There's some good advice there, but look at the packing list I certainly raised an eyebrow: 25g of soap? 20g of toothpaste? 20g of sun cream? Fine for a few days perhaps...

Oh I think the guys seriously cracked, I understand not wanting to lug too much stuff, but that's going too far. We're talking credit card touring minus the credit card here. I found it a strangely fascinating read but felt that his obsession with weight reduction may have been detracting from just enjoying himself. But then if that's what floats his boat, he's certainly not harming anyone else.

andym

Über Member
MacB said:
Oh I think the guys seriously cracked,

A few kilos short of a full pannier maybe? :smile:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
andym said:
A few kilos short of a full pannier maybe? :biggrin:

:biggrin:I wonder if he limits his food and water intake and tries to regulate his bowel movements to make sure he isn't carrying anything extra:ohmy:

Seriously though couldn't you just carry more and ride a shorter distance each day?

My Two-penneth worth

I carried my tent in a small pannier on the front wheel. It kept it from flapping around and didn't matter if it was wet or not.

I used nylon pannier covers on my Altura bags on the bag, and tucked my Karrimat type sleeping pad folded under the nylon cover.

I used crocs when not riding.

I carried a spoon and a pen knife, one pan and the lid. My gas stove weighs 85 grammes.

Top Bottom