Really stupid question about panniers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, This probably should go in the beginners section but its relevent for touring:

Im looking to kit my bike up for touring. Now everyone talks about panniers, and ive been looking at them, especially the Vaude ones people are tlaking about. I put a rear rack on the bike and fit the panniers.
Now the thing is, im going to need to pack a tent, mat, and sleeping bag. Do these fit inside the panniers? or do you kinda bungee cord these ontop of the rack and around the panniers? In which case what do you put in the panniers? I can think of anything, except for food supplies, phone and bits and pieces. in which case why would I need two huge panniers on the back of the bike, when I could probably make do with a front mounted handlebar pannier? How do you all load up?

Your advice and help greatly appreciated. Also anyone know any cheap rear racks that will fit the Decathlon rockrider 5.3 (26" wheels iirc!) with disc breaks no rear suspension. Book says frame is rack compatable. Im still in two minds whether to just adapt this bike for touring or buy a proper tour bike. But in the meantime im planning a 3 day tour on this bike so need a rack for it anyway, will see how I get on with that.

Thanks guys

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Most people bungee the tent onto the top of the rack. My sleeping bag and mat go in the panniers plus spare clothing, stove, spares, book etc. You don't have to fill the panniers if you don't need to - leaves room for food, wine etc.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I have fairly small panniers, and put the tent one side, the sleeping bag the other and the bedmat strapped on top of the rack. Everything else goes in around the tent and bag.

I think bungying tent, mat and sleeping bag on top of the rack would be tricky.

You can see my set up from last summer (for a weekend trip), here, in the last pic.

https://www.cyclechat.net/

Anthony

Ortlieb do a good dry bag you can put your tent in and bungee it to the rack.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Ortlieb_PD_350_-_22L_Dry_Bag/5360007581/ This is what I do. Nearly every other tourer puts their tent on their rack.

Clothes, sleeping bag,stove, food, tool kits, etc go in the two rear panniers.

You may also like a removable bar bag to put all your vital things like, money, passport, camera, maps, etc. This should never leave your side (i.e. you can take it into shops with you)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Ortlieb_Ultimate_5_Classic_Bar_Bag/5360028247/

The practicalities may decide.

Think WET!

Do you want a wet tent inside your panniers?

I bought an Ortlieb "Dry bag" that sits on top of the rack with the tent and keeps it apart from all the other stuff if you do have to pack your tent in the wet.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Yep, tent on top of the rack. Also remember the risk with big panniers is that you are tempted to carry too much, you have to carry everything you take, so be ruthless when packing.

Brains

Legendary Member
Tent and mat on the rack,
poles bungeed under the top tube,
clothes, sleeping bag, cooker, food in the panniers.
Maps, camera, torch, passport, money in the handlebar bag

snorri

Legendary Member
onlineamiga said:
Also anyone know any cheap rear racks that will fit........ But in the meantime im planning a 3 day tour on this bike
I would suggest cost should not be a priority when buying a rear rack, cheap racks are liable to suffer failed welds at the most awkward times.:smile:
Regarding what to put in your panniers, for a 3 day tour I doubt many people would fill their panniers for a tour of that relatively short duration.

snorri said:
I would suggest cost should not be a priority when buying a rear rack, cheap racks are liable to suffer failed welds at the most awkward times.:biggrin:
Regarding what to put in your panniers, for a 3 day tour I doubt many people would fill their panniers for a tour of that relatively short duration.

Guys thanks ever so much for your responses and not saying im stupid for asking obvious questions :smile: Your replies are most helpful.

Youre right, i cant imagine filling them hugely on the 3 day tour. However the 3 day tour is a warm up for a month tour from Gibraltar up to the UK which I want to do in September (pending work letting me have the time off)

I was thinking a cheaper rack because i dont know im going to stick with my current bike. And I notice a lot of the touring bikes seem to have racks with them, so i dont want to spend a lot on a rack now. If I decide to keep with the Rockrider to do Gib to UK, i could always replace the rack with a better one. But yeah i would never want the rack to fail. That could be an utter nightmare!!! I appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks again guys

Brains

Legendary Member
snorri said:

I find the difference between what is taken on a 3 day tour and a 3 month tour is very little.

You might get away with only one camera memory card and not bother with the phone charger, and maybe not take all the documents but that is about it

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
MacB said:
Though very much orientated to touring as light as possible, this link makes an interesting read:-

http://www2.arnes.si/~ikovse/weight.htm

Crikey, that really is impressive!

I went for a one day "credit card" dash to Amsterdam, last autumn, and I think that I was carrying about 10 kg , including the weight of the panniers themselves. In random order....

Bike lock, house keys, passport, wallet, ferry tickets, two LF paper maps and a city map of Amsterdam.

Two bike lights, and spare batteries, a multi-tool, spare tube, tire levers, mini pump, fairy visit kit, and head torch.

Camera and MP3 player. Compass, mobile phone

Waterproof jacket and trousers.

Two pairs of socks and pants, a pair of jeans, a sweater, and two tee shirts.

Razor, shaving foam, toothbrush and paste.

I think I have a way to go when it comes to lightweight, but apart from ditching the mobile and MP3, I have no idea!

Top Bottom