Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Loch Ness holds more water than all the lakes, rivers, canals and reservoirs in the whole of England and Wales combined.
The deepest point in Loch Ness is 126 Fathoms which is twice the average depth of the North Sea.

I assume that must be true in which case its quite staggering.

Punkawallah

Über Member
The first German ME 262 jet fighter shot down, was probably shot by a Mosquito.

This means that the N*zi high command spent a vast amount of time and resources building an incredibly complex new Wunderwaffe, and it was promptly shot down by a flying cupboard.

Ah! ‘Some countries have different aircraft for different roles. When you want an aircraft that does everything, you have the Mosquito’.

classic33

Leg End Member
Mosquitos were fast, 414 mph, but could not compete, of course, with the 560 mph of the Me 262, and on 26 July 1944 the first aircraft to be shot down by a ME-262 was in fact a DH Mosquito.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Back in't day, we would call someone of 'little brain' 'Five Watt' as he / she wasn't the brightest light in the window - ! :laugh:

My mother and grandmother used the expression "as dim as a Toc H lamp". I'm sure modern people would be baffled but I think Toc H does still exist. I can't comment on whether they had poor lighting !

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm just commenting on how crazy it CAN seem to folks of this century that they were a popular (and accepted) thing back in your childhood. So neither serious nor onna windup!

I had a set of china golliwog statuettes of jazz musicians from collecting Jam tokens. As a kid I assumed a golliwog was some kind of mythical being rather than an offensive parody of an actual black person.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had a set of china golliwog statuettes of jazz musicians from collecting Jam tokens. As a kid I assumed a golliwog was some kind of mythical being rather than an offensive parody of an actual black person.

As a kid I had a "black sambo" moneybox. It had big lips that you put a penny in.... it was then sort of swallowed into the collection.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Was it something like the skeleton hand that dragged your coin it on the ‘grave’?

Same principle but it was a black man's head with exaggerated big lips.
I can honestly say it never influenced my thinking as I grew up with no prejudice for/against any race or colour.

Tenkaykev

Guru

Punkawallah

Über Member
Same principle but it was a black man's head with exaggerated big lips.
I can honestly say it never influenced my thinking as I grew up with no prejudice for/against any race or colour.

My daughter always wanted the black, white and brown versions of the dolly, so she could have the ‘full set’. Don’t know what that means for world domination in the future.

Top Bottom