Rear axle help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kiwifruit

Über Member
20180921_140814.jpg
Hi, just gave my mavic free hub a service and cleaned, and also took out the axle. Now I have put it all back together including the cassette the axle has movement, I can turn it back and forth about 6mm by using my hand. I took it apart and resemble the same thing happens. Is this normal? I have service the hub before and have not notice this happening. Any suggestions, much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What do you mean ? Does the axel move in and out of the hub ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not quite sure I get you, as it would normally rotate - Are you saying it will only turn 6mm ? The two nuts and the spacer should all be tight.

The Mavic hubs have cartridge bearings (as you'll know) but you can adjust the 'pre-load' with the 'nuts' just like you can with a standard wheel. What you do need to make sure is the pre-load is ideally just tight enough to cause a little 'wobble' before you pop in in the drop outs. On tightening, you should feel no clunking when you grab the tyre.

D

Deleted member 1258

View attachment 430938 Hi, just gave my mavic free hub a service and cleaned, and also took out the axle. Now I have put it all back together including the cassette the axle has movement, I can turn it back and forth about 6mm by using my hand. I took it apart and resemble the same thing happens. Is this normal? I have service the hub before and have not notice this happening. Any suggestions, much appreciated. Thanks.

A little bit of movement before the pawls engage?

Top Bottom