Rear Axle Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
20170605_151611.jpg

This rear axle has a cross threaded lock nut...which is the red bit....Sealed bearings...On using the back wheel associated with it the cones came loose and I found the cross threaded lock nut which even the bike shop could not release... This is a hollow axle of approx 170cm so what I really need is a supply of these...I had one break last year and this one mysteriously cross thread...Any ideas?

I've looked on the internet and have found nothing yet...Looks like I need an axle as above with the notches to hold the sealed bearings in place.

Thanks In Advance.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Lonestar try sjs cycles

I can't help with new axles but an observation: if that nut is red, then it is almost certainly made from aluminium, the wrong material for the job. It has galvanised itself onto the axle. I doubt it is cross-threaded because it looks perfectly square-on and by the time it has travelled that far down the threaded bit with a cross-thread, it will be removable by finger.
I would suggest you find a car mechanic shop with a nut splitter or do a Dremel job on the nut. It will come of chop-chop, the material is soft. A good bike shop will have something similar in his bits and bobs bin to replace that.

PS - that is a cartridge bearing which may, or may not, have a seal.

Alan O

Über Member
I can't help with new axles but an observation: if that nut is red, then it is almost certainly made from aluminium, the wrong material for the job. It has galvanised itself onto the axle. I doubt it is cross-threaded because it looks perfectly square-on and by the time it has travelled that far down the threaded bit with a cross-thread, it will be removable by finger.
I was going to say I'd love to meet the bloke who was capable of cross-threading a nut that far down the thread - but only if he was in a good mood ^_^

OP
OP
L

Lonestar

Veteran
I was going to say I'd love to meet the bloke who was capable of cross-threading a nut that far down the thread - but only if he was in a good mood ^_^

Not cross threaded as originally thought.But on a local 2 mile ride it looks like everything got tightened up in there but im not sure why.Somehow I made it back but realised the wheel wasn't right with the cones coming loose.Had to get cone spanners and managed to get the wheel off and axle out.

Even at the time I must admit though I thought it didn't look cross threaded.So that was a guess.

Yes looking at YS's post he is perfectly right and I see exactly what he means now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom