Rear brake sticking but only when pushing it backwards.

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Slick, 14 Apr 2019.

1. Slick

Slick Veteran

I suppose the easy answer is to stop pushing it backwards. :rolleyes:

I recently swapped the cable actuated hydraulic brakes on my Genesis to full hydraulic. I've only done a few commute rides in the dry so they are barely bedded in yet. My only issue is they stick when I push the bike back. I had it on the stand today lubing the chain and I could spin the wheel quite freely in reverse but every time I got it on the ground, it jammed again as I pushed it.

I'm probably missing something very simple, but at the moment I'm just not getting it. :wacko:

2. OP
    OP
    Slick

Slick Veteran

I should have said, this is on the rear wheel only.

3. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Never come across that before. Are all the caliper and rotor bolts tight?

4. OP
    OP
    Slick

Slick Veteran

Yes. I checked everything was secure as that was my first thought. The fact I could spin the wheel back really confused me though.

5. Afnug

Afnug I'll Sithee

Is there any loseness in the hub bearings ? Is the QR tight ?

6. OP
    OP
    Slick

Slick Veteran

The QR is definitely tight. I didn't check the bearings but I would have thought that I'd have noticed.

I will check though.

Afnug likes this.
  7. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

The fact that it only happens when the wheel is weighted could indicate a dodgy ball bearing but you'd have heard that grating and clicking by now.

8. OP
    OP
    Slick

Slick Veteran

All really quiet. It's a completely new group set so I would be really unhappy at any grating or clicking.

I thought maybe I was missing something really simple, but perhaps not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice