Rear cassette lockring wont undo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladesman73

Über Member
...tried using my adjustable spanner and also a longer armed tool but the bugger wont shift. Any ideas before i give up and take to lbs pls? Btw its a racing bike wheel with shimano 11 speed cassette.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Give the tool a bit of "Encouragement" with a mallet.

OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Über Member
Sorry should have said im using a chain whip, removal tool and spanner to turm the tool. I dont have a vice unfortunately. Would a smattering of gt85 over the lockring in the hope it will penetrate into the thread work?

JuhaL

Guru
One method would be lock the lock ring tool with skewer but not totally tight so it doesn't slip and a metal pipe to have extra power to open lock ring if it's really tight and chain whip of course. Hope it opens.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't want to insult you, but check that you are holding the cassette still with the whip, and undoing the locknut anti-clockwise with the wrench. If you are, it's just down to brute force/ lubrication.

gbb

Legendary Member
They can be buggers if overtightened. I resorted to the vice method once (clamp the removal tool in a vice, lay the wheel on the tool, use the rim for massive leverage)......and it was so tight it broke the tool.:whistle:

ozboz

Guru
I took mine off the other day using the same as you , it did not offer much resistance, ( fortunately !) And it was good fun whe the cassette sprockets split up and I was looking at sprockets and spacer rings all over the floor ! Anyway It was not to much trouble to sort out ( after a quick YouTube visit !) rather than damage any thing though your LBS should charge you around a fiver to sort the whole thing

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive had some on friends bike that were overtightened and whilst needed a bit more leverage came undone. I use a 600mm long digital torque wrench and a chain whip. The recommended torque is 40nm, but I only ever put 30-32nm which is more than enough and Ive never had a lock ring come loose.

robgul

Legendary Member
Try Chill Zone spray from Finish Line - the theory is that different metals expand/contract at different rates with freezing/heating BUT similar metals sometimes have very slightly different changes and may just pop the seizure.

It's usually a case of "bigger tools" - as in the Park Tool workshop chain whip and wrench use for cassette and BB removal tools - LBS is probably your friend.

Rob

OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Über Member
I don't want to insult you, but check that you are holding the cassette still with the whip, and undoing the locknut anti-clockwise with the wrench. If you are, it's just down to brute force/ lubrication.
I am doing it correctly as i removed the cassette from my commuter bike 10 mins before trying it on the roadie. Never had one cease on me like this. Thanks for the replies all i think its a job for a vice at the lbs

I am doing it correctly as i removed the cassette from my commuter bike 10 mins before trying it on the roadie. Never had one cease on me like this. Thanks for the replies all i think its a job for a vice at the lbs

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/chain-whip-cassette-remover-id_8309913.html

Get yourself one of these.

And one of these.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Unior-Tools/Freewheel-Remover-With-Handle-Shimano-SRAM/FSUM

and you’ll have the leverage you need to get the lock ring off, and no messy chain, type chain whip.

Top Bottom