Rear Chain Group

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaykun85

So.

I have my road 10 speed bike it has on int 11 - 32T on it at the moment
Have upgraded to the Ultegra from BB and Chain set which works a treat much better than the old one.

Just saw on offer the 11 - 28t Ultegra Chain group and chain, so i bought it.

My question as I'm only new is would it have been better to go for the 12-30t group and loose the 11t high gear but keep the low gear for climbs. Or will the 28t work just as well?

An 11-28 will work with your existing derailleur cage. Although an a 11-30 will give you a lower gear might not fit the derailleur you might have found the jumps between gears too big anyway.

Montydog

^_^^_^
So.

I have my road 10 speed bike it has on int 11 - 32T on it at the moment
Have upgraded to the Ultegra from BB and Chain set which works a treat much better than the old one.

Just saw on offer the 11 - 28t Ultegra Chain group and chain, so i bought it.

My question as I'm only new is would it have been better to go for the 12-30t group and loose the 11t high gear but keep the low gear for climbs. Or will the 28t work just as well?

every little helps on the hills^_^

OP
OP
J

Jaykun85

haha It isn't too hilly but there are still some good climbs (like old pale in delamere forest, pretty much knackers me out), ill just stick it on when it comes :tongue: only thing gan do is just give it a whirl :tongue:

Now I'm just looking for a set up for my go pro and Garmin as want to get a time lapse done on the llandudno ride.

What rear cassettes do people on here normally run out of interest ?

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
My ride has a 9 speed cassette, which was originally 11 - 26. When I bought a new chain and cassette, I changed to 11 - 30 and the extra 4 teeth on the 'rescue' gear have made a big difference to climbing hills. I've got some well known hills around me where the 30T sprocket is my friend, such as Dover's hill, Saintbury hill and the climb to British Camp from Welland.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
haha It isn't too hilly but there are still some good climbs (like old pale in delamere forest, pretty much knackers me out), ill just stick it on when it comes :tongue: only thing gan do is just give it a whirl :tongue:

Now I'm just looking for a set up for my go pro and Garmin as want to get a time lapse done on the llandudno ride.

What rear cassettes do people on here normally run out of interest ?

I've seen the strava rides you've posted and you ride at a reasonable pace. The 11-28 will be plenty of gear for the rides you do. To give you an idea I use a 12-27 and my rides are really hilly with a compact on the front. So my lowest gear is 34-27 which works even for the 25% nightmares we have in the Peak District

I know folk like to have as easy a gear as possible but, if reasonably fit, your 34-28 will get you up anything

e-rider

crappy member
11-28T is a good all-round set of ratios for general riding.
11-32T would be too low for most, unless you live in a very hilly area

OP
OP
J

Jaykun85

thank guys :smile: well it should arrive next week so will stick it on and see how it goes :smile: there was just too much choice when choosing lol i didn't know what to get. But i know i didn't want to loose the high gear :smile: even if there was just 1 tooth in it :smile:

Top Bottom